Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

| Help | What kind of bayonet?

Article about: I looked at it, most like a Mannlicher bayonet, but at the bottom the arc is a bit longer than a Mannlicher. Thank you for answers!

Default | Help | What kind of bayonet?

I looked at it, most like a Mannlicher bayonet, but at the bottom the arc is a bit longer than a Mannlicher.

| Help | What kind of bayonet?

Thank you for answers!

Greetings,

My best guess would be that the bayonet posted is a Spanish Model 1893 "Short" Mauser Bayonet see here Spanish Model 1893 Short Mauser Bayonet. There were four variants of this bayonet one of which possessed screws in the handle (like yours) versus solid rivets. That said, it may be a German Model 1871/84 Mauser Knife Bayonet, but it appears slightly long for that model.

Best,

V/r Lance

Many thanks!

approximately how much the price of mine?

I would say it's a S1871/84 bayonet, it retains the humpback characteristics of the hand grip. And those look like typical grip rivets. However the muzzle ring has been removed probably to conform to the later S84/98 specs. The blade should be 25cm long, it is very worn and lost some shape. As to maker, if marks are visible on ricasso or blade spine it would answer that, but I'm thinking Austrian made by Steyr as an export bayonet. The scabbard appears to be the Austrian style used with export M71/84 and these were sold to Portugal and Romania.

?

When OE/WG marked its a romanian M1893 relict, the difference to S71/84 is a diameter of barell ring, here removed, normally on pommel are romanian proofs. br.Andy