Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M40 Ex-Double Decal? Genuine?

Article about: Dear members, could you please help me identifying whether this M40 helmet is genuine? Also it appears to be an Ex-Double Decal. Do you maybe have more info? Many thanks in advance for all h

?

The description underneath the Helmet on the website says:

Only a few of these examples where ever made, M40 double decal helmets. As per regulations, the national shield has been removed but the outlines are still visible. The other side still shows a 95% intact, slightly toned army eagle in good condition. The liner is used and clearly seen better days. The original, early chinstrap with aluminum buckle is still present. The strap is maker marked and dated 1940. The front of the liner shows a knot of a camouflage net that was once attached. The rear of the inside shows the soldiers name in white paint. The helmet is marked on the side E.F. 64, the lotnumber is no longer visible. Very nice looking, true combat helmet!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Ex-Double Decal? Genuine?
    P
    Many

No, not unusual....the decal is correct & expected. Was my oversight. But to repeat...unlikely it was a period double decal helmet. Some collectors believe there are factory applied Nat. colors on M40's. Others say NO. Some believe maybe field applied to "spruce up" for parade use. Myself, I think post war applied & then removed. I have seen many that way. But just my opinion based on handled examples.

I think much of the wear, damage on this is post war abuse. The liner appears to have been treated at some point...as mentioned the exterior looks "cleaned". It's been messed with. I would pass unless it's price reflects condition
    D.

Quote by cod552 View Post
    Many thanks for all your answers until now.

Just for recap, you are saying it is unusual and quite rare in this configuration, but it is a genuine helmet, correct?

I might have a chance to buy it, would you go for it?

Thanks again!
    No on the contrary not unusual or rare. It is a single decal M40 Heer with some unexplainable spot on the other side.
    Personally I would look for a nicer one.

As stated, the outside of the helmet appears to have been cleaned very harshly, almost sanded in some areas. It's most likely my poor eyes or the photo light but does it appear that paint has been applied over pitting on the inside rim around the name marking?

Jan
    ?

Quote by christek View Post
    As stated, the outside of the helmet appears to have been cleaned very harshly, almost sanded in some areas. It's most likely my poor eyes or the photo light but does it appear that paint has been applied over pitting on the inside rim around the name marking?
    Imo the name has been applied over the pitting!

Best, Jan

?

It would be my first Heer Helmet, so I think according to all your advices I will wait for another one.

In your opinion what would be a reasonable price for this one?

Dealers would maybe ask $550-600. At least the US dealers I know
    D.

Quote by cod552 View Post
    Many thanks for all your answers until now.

Just for recap, you are saying it is unusual and quite rare in this configuration, but it is a genuine helmet, correct?

I might have a chance to buy it, would you go for it?

Thanks again!
    Hi, as said, a good original helmet and decal, someone post war probably either put a fake National shield decal on or simply painted it on. It happened all to often that someone really wanted that DD look!! At least it is not there now. Leon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2