Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe visor with letters

Article about: Hi everyone, A few years ago I purchased this Luftwaffe visor. It originally belonged to Gefreiter ”Bucher” as shown by the name tag under the sweatband. I also have two letters (purchased w

Default Luftwaffe visor with letters

Hi everyone,

A few years ago I purchased this Luftwaffe visor. It originally belonged to Gefreiter ”Bucher” as shown by the name tag under the sweatband.

Luftwaffe visor with letters Luftwaffe visor with letters

I also have two letters (acquired with the cap) that apparently were sent to him. The problem is, my German is not good enough to make out what it says, never mind the confusing handwriting.

I was wondering if any of the German speaking members here is kind enough to tell me what they are about? Were these two letters even sent to the same person? I’m really confused...

This is the first letter, dated 15.12.1938

Luftwaffe visor with letters Luftwaffe visor with letters Luftwaffe visor with letters

The second one is in bad condition with faded ink. Dated 05.07.38

Luftwaffe visor with letters Luftwaffe visor with letters Luftwaffe visor with letters

Needless to say, any input, comment or opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,
    Miguel.
    Last edited by Migobeego; 07-11-2019 at 01:17 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe visor with letters
    P
    Many

Yes, both were sent to the Luftwaffe airman Artur Bucher at Bad Aibling in Bavaria. The first one says:

"Eger*, 15 Dec. 1938

Dear Artur!

My best thanks for your kind letter to which I would like to reply.
    My parents don't want to believe that I associate with soldiers and therefore I very much ask you not to come to Eger for Christmas, as I would not be able to find the time for you anyway. You know that you are dear to me and that I write to you from my true heart, but duty comes before love and obedience to one's parents is the highest duty.
    Look, let us wait until you have returned to civilian life, then everything will be entirely different. I may freely associate with civilians, but I am not supposed to talk to soldiers. I can't do anything about it. If you love me just a little bit, you will be able to understand me in this situation, as well. Look, I trust you and you must trust me in turn as well. Love can only grow if the foundation is trust. Or am I wrong if I take this for granted with you; in that case I would have been deeply wrong about you.
    Now, my dearest, how is your health? I hope your hand has healed again? Have you been in a lot of pain? You poor one; I feel sorry for you from the bottom of my heart, and I couldn't help you at all.
    Can you imagine how that had pained me, to have someone you love and be unable to help him; that is bitter.
    Do write me again soon to let me know how you are. You will fulfil my wish and not come here, for otherwise I will be in great trouble at home, as you are a soldier.
    I wish you a very happy Christmas in the company of your dear ones and hope to get your reply soon.
    A joyful season to my little brother and Richard as well.
    I will think a lot of you when I will be alone on Christmas Eve. But fate - in this case, my parents - is merciless. Stay faithful to me!

Write to me soon!!!

Your loving

[signed]

Cordial greetings from Jutta and Marianne to the three of you. Why doesn't Hermann write?"

*) German name for Cheb, now in the Czech Republic.

Wow, I didn’t expect to get such a detailed translation! I am truly thankful for the effort you put in. This will make me value the cap much more. I cannot thank you enough!

You're welcome! It wasn't so hard, as that young lady had good, clear handwriting.

I tried to decypher the second one as well, but between the faded ink and the less-than-perfect handwriting, too much of it is illegible to make a useful translation.

Some bits and pieces I could make out are about how someone doesn't write back, whether Lisbeth is married yet, if Artur likes it at Bad Aibling etc.

I any case, the letter is wholly unconnected to the first one and was written by someone else who lived in Mannheim (it is signed by an "Alfred" and another name).

Did you research if the soldier survived? These letters are truly sad, as they where hoping for normal civilian lifes, just a year away from the war.
    It would be interesting to know if he survived, or if he never came back to his love.

I did try to find out about him but seems like a near-to-impossible task.

That's a really cool piece of history - I totally agree that the letters help give the cap an added meaning. It also gives an interesting look into life on the home front.