Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?

Article about: Hi, This is my first time that I post something here. Hope I have done it right. I need your expertise in order to identify the iron cross 1st class in the pic if is fake or real. I have a f

Default Better than this I cannot do it

This another pic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?
    P
    Many

Default Iron Cross 1st Class real or fake

With this thread I have added better pic.
    I need your expertise in order to identify the iron cross 1st class in the pic if is fake or real. I have a feeling that is a fake but the dealer sold it to me as an original. I have trusted him has it seems to be very genuine but at home I start to have my doubt.

Thank you in advance

Marco
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?  

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?  

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?  

It's unusual for it to be inscribed on the reverse. The cross appears to be single piece construction, not a good sign.

Default Maybe 3 pieces cross

This seems the line to think is made in 3 parts I guess
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?  

Default Better picture

Another pic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?   Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse fake or real?  

Hello,

First I apologize to everyone for barging into your forum after not posting a single comment in four years and no formal re-introduction. I have been away from the hobby pursuing other interest and only recently started collecting again. However, I could not help but speak up after seeing this thread. This cross is in horrible condition with highly suspicious engraving. At the very least this should be enough to pass on it.

As anyone who has been collecting for a while can attest an engraved specimen is very desirable therefor when encountered they need to be looked at very cautiously. The engraving on this looks recent to me. The cut still appears sharp around the font edges! I would bet my collection that in hand you would feel the sharp edges of the cut when running your finger over the surface which is a clear indication the cross was not period engraved. Also the back has been heavily cleaned so much that the finish appears like it’s been worn through in some areas. Is that copper I see showing through the finish? As someone who used to and still on occasion does metal engraving I believe this is more than cleaning and was done with an abrasive in an attempt to smooth out the cut. Also the edges on the back of the cross arms have been heavily beveled and it looks like it’s been done recently as there is no or little patina in that area. A possible reason for this is that the edges were damaged from holding the cross in the engraving block/vice. Of course this is mere speculation

I am not one to give a thumbs up or down on any cross because I do not have the expertise or experience to have earned the right to do so. However, there are enough red flags related to the engraving alone for me to confidently recommend that you find another cross. (I do believe this cross is an outright fake but I will let the experts make that determination)

May I ask how much the seller is asking for the cross? Price can sometimes show the sellers intent!

Happy collecting!

Kirby
    Last edited by Element7; 08-22-2019 at 01:12 PM. Reason: more to say

To me it looks like a one piece fake , the details are very soft .
    The swastika is too thin
    The engraving is an attempt to get a better price and always puts me off.

I wouldn't have it in my collection. This is only my opinion

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Is a fake in an original box. The edges of the lower central part are irregular (bad signal). Another thing the engraving is post-war.

Otto

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2