Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

101st airborne division patch WWII period genuine?

Article about: Dear members, could you please help me with this patch, whether it is all original and WWII period? Thank you very much for your help! Best regards, cod552

?

Default 101st airborne division patch WWII period genuine?

Dear members,

could you please help me with this patch, whether it is all original and WWII period?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards,

cod552

101st airborne division patch WWII period genuine?101st airborne division patch WWII period genuine?101st airborne division patch WWII period genuine?

Hi mate
    My thoughts initially WWII based on the eye , very distinctive and an intricate design and the embroidered AIRBORNE tab weave.

It's embroidered on blue twill , which you normally associate with the 1950's ,however there were embroidered on blue twill variations.

The reverse however looks to me post WWII era.That wide black edge is not the normal look for a WWII era patch.

So , if this was in my collection I would put it in the 1950's period until we can match it to a known WWII example.

The difficulty comes from the schiffli embroidery process that had changed very little from 1942-55. They probably used the same paper tape system that transferred the design to embroidery as well as the same employees from WWII.

Phill

?

Thanks a lot for your reply Phill. Based on your opinion and others‘, I did not buy it.
    Cheers!

?

Looks like the same blue edge as on one of my Nam Uniforms
    Attachment 1326055

?

There are so many variations of the 101st patches , as well as fakes around that they are interesting to collect.
    As a rule I tend to steer clear of ones that are one piece with the tabs connected unless I can see where they been sewn on.
    For reference here is some different variations from my collection

Attachment 1326060

Attachment 1326061

Attachment 1326062

Attachment 1326063

Attachment 1326064

Attachment 1326065

Attachment 1326066

Hi guys

First off the original post is either from late 40's or 50's and original to time period. At this stage I cannot confirm WWII, however if in my collection I would place it in the 1950's.

Rick posted a Vietnam era 101st with Blue twill. Two different birds, two different era's and two diffident manufacturers. Some manufacturers used Blue twill during WWII to the 1960's as well as the normal khaki twill, they also used black twill.

Lets start with Ricks next selection:

1/ 1960's cute edge with merrowed tab(merrowed 1966/67 onwards) never seen a merrowed tab attached to cut edge eagle.
    2/Japanese made 1960's Embroidered on felt.
    3/Standard WWII era Tab and patch, although some would argue the tab would not be for this eagle-yes we do have train spotters amongst us.
    4/ Modern era reproduction out of Vietnam. This is not US or Japanese manufactured.

The standard WWII 101 is approx $US100.

Phill

?

Good Work Phill,
    I knew it was a dud , that last one , got burn't with that one 10 years ago lol.
    Ive got a box I keep all my dud buys in as a reminder of my mistakes.
    Live & Learn
    Cheers Rick

No worries Rick.

We have all been burned at times.

Here is mine.

I ignored all my own mental check list.

My thoughts were theatre made (German?)502d AIR 1980'/90's which I had seen and thinking this was similar, but no, modern era Vietnam repro!

Phill

?

"Ignored all my own mental check list"
    That's true Phill,
    We have all been guilty of that one.
    Ive wanted somethings so bad that you miss the bleeding obvious starting you in the face .
    Its like your brain only focuses on the good things lol.
    Then when you get it you get that sinking feeling in your guts , and you sigh , How could I be so stupid ?

It would seem Vietnam war era patches and now later era stuff is as heavily faked as SS stuff. Bit of a minefield for the novice.