Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Kriegsflagge Real or Fake?

Article about: Hello everyone, I got this Kriegsflagge offered to me, which made me really excited because I've wanted one of these for a while now. So I did some digging on this forum but could not find a

These aren't really faked. If your worried about its authenticity do a burn test on a thread. Best regards

KMcollector

These aren't really faked. If your worried about its authenticity do a burn test on a thread. Best regards
    Yes, absolutely indeed, these WW1 Imperial Battle Flags are for certain faked, and have been reproduced since the 1970's. Look at the photo I posted. Globe Militaria out of St Louis, Missouri, and the old Collector's Armory out of Alexandria, Virginia sold reproductions of them back in the 1970's and 1980's.

I did clearly say, however, that the original flag posted on this thread IS NOT A FAKE. It is my humble opinion that this flag may not be WW1 era produced, buy maybe sometime in the 1930's, or even during WW2 era. I made myself perfectly clear that I did pointedly say Lucas's flag is not a fake, and it is not a reproduction flag. I think it may just date later than WW1 era production.

Best Regards,

Alan

Here is an old junk catalog that I have had sense the late 70s.
    I actually ordered a Iron cross from here. It was made of cast lead.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Kriegsflagge Real or Fake?   Kriegsflagge Real or Fake?  

gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hello Alan, thank you for the helpful replies. Whilst it is disappointing to hear that it might not be from WW1 I still like it as a WW2 flag. But what exactly did you mean with ''I believe it is from the WW2 era, or possibly even post-war''? Did you mean with post-war the period 1919-1939 or post-WW2? I would love to know.

Also I found this image of a Kriegsflagge which is apparently an ''original Kriegsflagge from a U-boat that was donated to a museum''. Now I am definitely not doubting your expertise on this field, but I was wondering since it matches my flag really well detail wise if this gives my flag more of a chance of being from WW1 or if this flag is WW2/post-war as well.

Looking forward to your reply,

Lucas

Lucas, I can assure you that the flag you have is not "from the WW2 era." In my opinion, yours is almost certainly an original. I say "almost" because I have been wrong more than once. Never-the-less, I think that yours is genuine because of several factors, starting with the inscription on the flag and its obvious age. But in the end, it's your call. Dwight

This thread has been very interesting. And I'm rather divided on whether it's from WW1 or WW2, but one thing is for sure and that's that it is VERY old.

What might help the discussion of this flag is the original seller's description of it. I sadly forgot most of the description and there's no way to fact check it because the original seller sadly passed away. If I had known that I would later become the owner of this flag I would've of course remembered the description.
    But all I can remember of the description is that it was something along the lines of:
    ''This flag was flown on ship __ and used in __ during WW1. After WW1 it was flown on one of the 2/3 __ships of the Weimar republic.''

I hope that this might be useful.

Lucas

You wrote, "I'm rather divided on whether it's from WW1 or WW2" THis photo should put your mind at ease. This is Bundesarchive photo 101-ll-MN-1009-89 of a full-size battle flag flown on a German warship in WWII. Note the large swastika in the center, a feature that your flag does not have. The center feature on your flag is the Kaiserlichemarine Reichsadler. Dwight

K9G
    ?

I know its an old thread, but I would say the flag is 1930-1940's, so post wwi made. They were used for wwi veteran celebrations among others.
    What gives it away? The less detailed scepter, the eagle's shape, the thick iron cross, the black stiching on the hoist. Wwi era flags does not have these features. The written on the hoist might have been for the celebration of "The Battle of Jutland"?, which would be very cool.
    I have one of these myself, identical to yours and even though they are not a "true" wwi flag its still a nice somewhat rare and very nice flag with its own story and use

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3