Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What can you tell me about this Mauser Bayonet ?

Article about: I bought it today. It is a bayonet turned into a knife (that's why the length). There is no mark except the two small stamp at the end of the handle (maybe the manufacture). Not sure if it's

Question What can you tell me about this Mauser Bayonet ?

I bought it today. It is a bayonet turned into a knife (that's why the length). There is no mark except the two small stamp at the end of the handle (maybe the manufacture). Not sure if it's really a bayonet of a 98k.

Thank you in advance for any information !

?

German WWI Mauser 98/05 Butcher Bayonet

Thank you !

It was used by who and it's from which year ?

?

The Prussian bayonet Mauser 98/05 is also called the butcher's bayonet. These bayonets were a dreaded weapon in enemy troops. On the top, above the blade had some types of saw. The saw was later banned because of the brutal death and injuries it caused. In the event that a soldier who owned this bayonet with a saw was captured, was executed on the spot or visibly crippled, so much of these pieces have not been preserved to this day and the sawmill is ground off on most of the bayonets. Here you can see a complete original piece including a case and a leather pylon.What can you tell me about this Mauser Bayonet ?

Thank you very much for all your informations. Do you know how much my bayonet can cost ?

?

What can you tell me about this Mauser Bayonet ?What can you tell me about this Mauser Bayonet ?

?

unsaleable or the lowest price

Limited value as a cut down bayonet. Impossible to know was it done by a soldier, hunter or farmer and the decade it occurred. Unless solid provenance of where it came from.

Not all S98/05 had saw backs, usually only for Pioneer troops or artillery who needed to cut vegetation. The legend regarding the saw back was probably larger than in reality but in 1917 the Imperial German command ordered the removal of the saw edge by grinding. Some private purchase or captured bayonets survive with the saw edge intact.

?

Possible postwar used as farmer knife, or it could be declared as captured item later reworked into knife. b.r.Andy