Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unique French/Belgian M15 Helmet with British Liner and Unusual Badge! Identification Help!!

Article about: Hello everyone, I recently picked up this very interesting First World War M15 Adrian helmet off of eBay and let me tell you, I am stumped. Heres why: 1) I'm not sure what to make of the bad

Default Unique French/Belgian M15 Helmet with British Liner and Unusual Badge! Identification Help!!

Hello everyone,

I recently picked up this very interesting First World War M15 Adrian helmet off of eBay and let me tell you, I am stumped. Heres why:

1) I'm not sure what to make of the badge on the front. This is the first time I have seen anything like it, and I'm not sure where to place it. The lion motif would suggest Belgian, and some other Belgian badges I have researched look somewhat similar, but I have yet to find an exact match. It seems to have been on there for some time, as when I tried to remove it the prongs nearly snapped and the whole thing was stuck to the shell, so I left it as is.

2) The paint on the helmet looks to be very similar to that used on colonial helmets, and let me tell you what a rough paint job it is. This was definitely painted in this mustard greenish-yellow color several times, and in some spots you can see traces of the original horizon blue paint. Even the interior of the helmet is painted in this color, with the inside dome of the helmet being much neater than anywhere else. The crest looks to have been removed when everything was painted.

3) There is set of two small holes on the one side of the shell, that look deliberate but could be random and just happen to be neatly aligned.

4) I saved the best for last. Instead of the standard French or Belgian liners (the seller said it was possibly Belgian), this helmet has a British Brodie helmet liner in it. The liner is extremely delicate, but it is glued to the inner rim of the helmet and was done so very sloppily. I have never seen anything like this at all, and it's caused me to have some doubts about this whole piece.

So let me tell you what I think this could be. (Mind you this is only an educated guess). I think there is a reasonable chance that this helmet found its way to Africa, where it served with some colonial force and was put through its paces, being repainted over and over again until it found its way out of service. As to why there is a British liner in it I have no clue, but it would make some sense if this African theory is true.

Alas, I have little other information outside of what I can see, so I again turn to the knowledgeable members of the forum to get any sort of input you can offer. If nothing else, any help identifying the badge would help me find the right direction to continue my research. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unique French/Belgian M15 Helmet with British Liner and Unusual Badge! Identification Help!!

?

I'm commenting here, not because I have any answers but bumping it back up in the hope someone else does.

I've seen his badge before but I can;t find where, I'm not sure it is is Belgian, the crown is not the same.

As you point out the paint in the crown of the shell is the original colour, are there any stamps on the shell.

The liner looks really fragile, anyone's guess what it is doing there, can you see if it is fixed in using the original liner clips or just glue, the glue may have been an attempt to stabilize it which would be a shame.

Interestingly enough the liner is just crudely glued to the inside of the helmet, and as to any stamps I can't seem to find any in plain sight and I am reluctant to move the liner given how fragile it is.

I'm not sure if someone had this helmet and a spare British liner and decided to throw something together, or this was done legitimately to repurpose the helmet for continued use. Given the odd badge on the front, I'm more inclined to think the latter.

Luxemburg maybe?
    Bruno

?

It looks very much like the arms of the Ville de Luxembourg or Arlon, which has a similar, albeit more elaborate crown. However, in both instances the lion itself wears a crown.

?

+1

Hi there,

I would rather say Bulgaria in the interwar period.

Regards

good evening,
    non-standard Adrian 15 helmet: English / American liner?
    Badge which is not Belgian, not Luxembourgish, not Dutch ... and which does not resemble any of the countries which used this helmet.
    The liner has obviously been replaced and is therefore not original, the badge has was added after painting and is not original.
    It would seem from the shape of the crest and rivets that this is a DUPEYRON farbication helmet. The helmet may have been manually repainted for use by African troops or repainted in khaki in the 1930s, it is difficult to see the shade of the color well.
    Personally I lean for an unofficial assembly.
    Last edited by Eschborn; 08-24-2021 at 06:40 AM.

good evening, non-standard Adrian 15 helmet: English / American liner? Badge which is not Belgian, not Luxembourgish, not Dutch ... and which does not resemble any of the countries which used this helmet. The liner has obviously been replaced and is therefore not original, the badge has was added after painting and is not original. It would seem from the shape of the crest and rivets that this is a DUPEYRON farbication helmet. The helmet may have been manually repainted for use by African troops or repainted in khaki in the 1930s, it is difficult to see the shade of the color well.
    Personally I lean for an unofficial assembly.

good evening, non-standard Adrian 15 helmet: English / American liner? Badge that is neither Belgian, Luxembourgish nor Dutch ... and which does not resemble any of the countries which have used this helmet. The liner has obviously been replaced and is therefore not original, the badge was added after painting and is not original. It would appear from the shape of the crest and rivets that this is a DUPEYRON farbication helmet. The helmet may have been manually repainted for use by African troops or repainted in khaki in the 1930s, it is difficult to see the shade of the color properly.
    Personally, I favor an unofficial assembly.
    Last edited by Eschborn; 08-24-2021 at 06:39 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast