MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet question

Article about: Hi, I was trying to figure out a rough value on a helmet and to confirm if it is real, which I believe it is. Thanks! WWII paratrooper helmet - collectibles - by owner - sale

?

Default Helmet question

Hi, I was trying to figure out a rough value on a helmet and to confirm if it is real, which I believe it is. Thanks!
    WWII paratrooper helmet - collectibles - by owner - sale

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Helmet question
    P
    Many

A real helmet, but not a real paratrooper helmet. give it a miss. A word of advice when doing a post, moderators ask that you don't use links to post pictures, you should download and attach them.

Cheers,
    Steve

MAP
    ?

Curious...what is the asking price.

Toss out the characterization of this being a paratrooper helmet and then let's do some analysis

Need to be careful with using the term "real". The shell is real and the liner. But the "decal" is hand painted and a complete fantasy. Thereby making it a post war messed with helmet.

But by who and when???

From the photos and my small cell phone screen, it is near impossible to tell if the camo paint is legit or fake.

Better photos are needed to confirm. If the camo is legit, my gut says its possible a vet painted that "decal". Thereby making it a Vet Art item. Unique and part of the history (with a decreased value) and collectible to some people. But without provenance, near impossible to validate. Could just as easily been a kid who did it to play with his friends....or...

....there is also always the possibility the whole exterior has been "created" by a faker as a desirable ex chicken wire Normandy camo.

I'm on my cell but will try to look later on a bigger screen.

Personally I like it. If the paint is confirmed as good, I would take a punt on it. For those who know US insignia, maybe there is a match to the painted insignia?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Helmet looks as though spray painted while chicken wire has been on it. Paint has a slightly metallic look to it too. Maybe the poor quality pictures make it look bad, but maybe better quality pictures would not make it look any better either.

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Interesting helmet, I will only comment on the painted symbol.. I initially thought that it might be a post war Bundeswehr symbol for an airborne unit as it has some similarities but it is not.. and the Bundeswehr would have worn the standard paratrooper helmet.... There are also no US paratrooper/airborne insignia designs that are like this either, so I would guess that someone just painted a design on the helmet...

Smitty

Looking at it again, the parachute symbol has been scratched into the blue & white shield. So there is a chance that the parachute was added much later than the shield.

MAP
    ?

I just realized that this is in the "New User" section. Would be nice for a Mod to move it to the German section.

It will get many more views from more qualified and experienced members here.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

I'm just now taking a look on my PC.

Really need better photos. Authenticating a "camo" needs very good photos and these are not up to par. High resolution of the paint, split pins, straight on shots of the two shields as well as some of the chicken wire outlines.

The two painted "shields" appear to be white/blue with a silver paint for a parachute.

I'm not seeing major red flags on the paint (to my eyes). But again, as noted, clear high resolution close ups are needed and could easily change my opinion.

As it stands...it might be worth a $200 or $300 punt....if you could afford to lose it. IMHO, if the camo turns out to be real, without the "shields" it is worth MUCH more. However the "shields" will seriously knock down the value. Even if they are true "vet art"

Definitely need more closeup hi res images as stated by others but from I can see in the photos provided, the wear on the dome looks as expected. Let’s see what the seller can provide.
    Andy