Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Mei Translation Yikes!

Article about: Could I get some opinions on whom made this sword? It is a type 98 army officer’s sword. It has a Seki arsenal stamp and signed on one side of the tang only. There are six characters. It i

Default Mei Translation Yikes!

Could I get some opinions on whom made this sword? It is a type 98 army officer’s sword. It has a Seki arsenal stamp and signed on one side of the tang only. There are six characters. It is a fairly clean blade, perhaps stainless? The hamon has been done in ko-gunome style but I couldn’t tell you if it’s etched or clay. If I were to take a guess I’d say the maker is Kaneuji, but the writing is too sloppy for me to tell much. I can’t tell what the first kanji is, the second is Ju, I got nothing for the third or fourth, the fifth looks like it could be Uji, and the sixth could be tsukuru. Any help would be fantastic. A neighbor just gave this to me after I made a brief assessment of it. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mei Translation Yikes!   Mei Translation Yikes!  

Mei Translation Yikes!   Mei Translation Yikes!  

Mei Translation Yikes!   Mei Translation Yikes!  

Mei Translation Yikes!  

MAP
    ?

Rotated for easier reading.

Mei Translation Yikes!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

[関] 関住服部正廣
    [Seki] Seki jū Hattori Masahiro
    [Seki stamp] Seki Resident Hattori Masahiro

Modern Japanese uses the simplified instead of
    His civilian name was 服部 一市 Hattori Kazu'ichi.

-- Guy
    Mei Translation Yikes!

Thank you so much Guy. How incredible your ability is. I poured over my kanji books but could not make heads or tails of the characters, even getting a simpler one wrong.
    I had noticed in my search that “all” sword makers took on smith names. I’m sure it can’t be all, but surely a majority at least during Showa. Why is that? I would think that if they were proud enough to sign, they should use their real name.
    Thank you again. Your analysis exceeded my expectation.

It's like using a pen name for writing a book. Why is it hard to understand?

Well Sporter, it doesn’t bring honor to you or your family, but to a fictional person. Women use pen names to write men’s books, that’s understandable.

Quote by Okugake View Post
    Well Sporter, it doesn’t bring honor to you or your family, but to a fictional person. Women use pen names to write men’s books, that’s understandable.
    You are not thinking in the Japanese context. These men were artisans ... their artisan name was important. Sumo wrestlers have a "nom de guerre", so to speak, and they are proud of their "artisan" names. People who obtain a "shihan" license in traditional flower arrangement (e.g., Ikenobo School) are given an art name. Art names can also be assumed.

These pseudonyms are called 雅号 kagō (or simply gō) in Japanese. Three famous swordsmen/statesmen during the end days of the Shogunate were known by their kagō. They were called 幕末の三舟 "The three boats of the Bakamatsu;" so called because part of their contained the word [boat]. They were:
    • 山岡 鉄舟 Yamaoka Tesshu. Tesshu was his 号. Tesshu means "Iron Boat."
    • 勝海舟 Katsu Kaishu. Kaishu was his 号. Kaishu means "Sea Boat."
    • 高橋泥舟 Takahashi Deishu. Deishu was his 号. Deishu means "Mud Boat."

-- Guy

P.S. I read your Arms as:

Vert a saltire between four fire-bombs Or fired Proper in four places

Close?

GHP, Yes, that is a good explanation. I was given a shihan name but don’t really use it.
    Your blazon of my arms works perfectly. The one the College of Arms gave me is “Vert a saltire between four fireballs or enflamed proper.”

Quote by Okugake View Post
    Your blazon of my arms works perfectly. The one the College of Arms gave me is “Vert a saltire between four fireballs or enflamed proper.”
    Ah, that makes more sense as “in four places” is too redundant.
    My father’s arms are from the Chief Herald of Ireland and I’ve matriculated through Lyon Register way back in 1980.

— Guy

I have found the study of heraldry fascinating. My GGF arms were fireballs tasseled in four. Cheers!