Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waffen-SS Tropical Sturmmann chevron

Article about: Stumbled across these Sturmmann chevrons on Bill's site. They look similar to other rank insignias I have seen but how do I distinguish between these & fakes considering how good fakes a

Default Waffen-SS Tropical Sturmmann chevron

Stumbled across these Sturmmann chevrons on Bill's site. They look similar to other rank insignias I have seen but how do I distinguish between these & fakes considering how good fakes are these days? Browsing SOF, Richard Underwood Militaria, & Reddick Militaria I see reproductions especially for rank insignia, shoulder boards, & collar tabs are virtually indistinguishable from originals these days.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Waffen-SS Tropical Sturmmann chevron
    P
    Many

Here's an example of R.U.M. shoulder boards + Sturmmann insignia repros. Maybe the veteran collectors can spot the differences between these and original shoulder boards + chevrons but these repros use the same silver tresse as what's found on original boards + rank insignia at least to my eyes.

Here are my originals, compare the stitching.
    Ralph.

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks for sharing Ralph. Your originals give me confidence in Bill's chevrons. I buy plenty from Bill as it is & trust his judgement for sure but I still like to double-check!

Richard Underwood's line is mostly just run-of-the-mill China repros, he doesn't produce anything by himself.

-Joel

@Joel, I'm not very familiar with him or repros as far as that goes. He does have some decent looking visor cap repros but I'm sure the headgear subject matter experts here could tear them apart!

The one that started the thread is fine. The difference between the original and repos is all in the stitching, if you know what your looking at there is no comparison between an original and a reproduction.
    Tropical insignia are plentiful, but this one is in fine condition.

Thank you @KM. What hemmed me up was definitely the tresse because they do look quite similar. I ordered one of the chevrons from Bill this morning!

Got my insignia from Bill but he sent me a Rottenfuhrer rank instead of a Sturmmann. Only issue with this one is how much thread was left over on the reverse. I've bought a number of rank insignia and never had one look like that on the reverse. I'm sure it's fine but I always seem to get oddball examples of everything I buy unfortunately.

I'm curious why he would not send you the one you purchased?
    That pile up of thread is due to the tension on the upper thread not being correct, and not pulling the bottom thread half way up into the material.
    This causes a "ball up", I know.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast