Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII British Paratrooper Smock

Article about: Hi folks, I got this WWII British paratrooper smock with a bunch of other things and got it for a good price. The person I got it from said it was a 1950's Belgian paratrooper smock. I can s

Default WWII British Paratrooper Smock

Hi folks,

I got this WWII British paratrooper smock with a bunch of other things and got it for a good price. The person I got it from said it was a 1950's Belgian paratrooper smock. I can see that because the Belgians did copy off of British uniforms. But after some research I believe it to be a 2nd pattern British Paratrooper Smock. It looks like it is dated 1944 but it is really worn. It looks like the style is 1944 too. Any thoughts?

Found the green hanker chief in the bottom right pocket.

The vendor was honest and correct. A post war Belgian smock.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

What are the differences? Ian

I mean, how can you tell? Thanks for your thoughts! Ian

Post war Belgian smock, brushstroke pattern camouflage, post belgian zip, wrong label, buttons etc for wartime british smock, it was priced cheap because they are very common
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Yes, the zipper did get me. It is an american company and have dated that zipper to the 1930's, apparently they would use old stock on things in manufacturing, here I don't know. I have not found that label, the Belgian ones are red, and I do believe that there is a British broad arrow on it and the date of 1944, but it is very hard to read. The snaps are for a British smock, the Belgian ones had resin buttons. Some Belgian smocks have three buttons on the pockets. I believe the sergeants stripes are British, they are felt (I know that probably doesn't mean anything) and I looked up the Belgian ranks and they are different, but they may be modern, who knows. It is cool if it is a Belgian one worn in the Congo or something like that too. I do like the feedback. I do need second opinions! Thanks. Ian

The thing that gets me is the rank, but maybe that's Belgian? Ian

And I saw somewhere researching (if I find it again I can link it), that the British paratroopers (or army) during WWII put their patches/rank only on their right sleeve. Have no Idea if the Belgians did that or not. (I guess another thing I need help on, lol). Thanks for your comments! Ian

And one more thing, the Belgian smock has snaps on the collar for a hood which mine does not. Don't know if that makes mine British or not, but just putting it out there. . Thanks. Ian

You are obviously unwilling to accept that it is not British WWII made. The camo pattern and the label are totally wrong and even if the zip has been changed, it's much too long for a british smock.

it is probably an early post war example and therefore worth a bit more than most belgian smocks but no where near what a british wwii smock would be worth imo
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast