MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying

Article about: I bought this helmet at a pawn shop years ago for I believe \\$20 when I was a kid and I know nothing about this helmet. It looks to me like a Japanese shell but the liner doesn’t resemble a

Default Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying

I bought this helmet at a pawn shop years ago for I believe $20 when I was a kid and I know nothing about this helmet. It looks to me like a Japanese shell but the liner doesn’t resemble any that I’ve seen. I don’t believe it is a reproduction and it shows that it has seen some use; the leather is worn, minor rust on metal, and scuffs and scratches on the paint. There’s nothing stamped on the helmet that I’ve seen except for “IMS” which was most likely written by sharpie. Maybe it’s a prototype but I have no evidence to support that. If anyone knows what model this helmet is, what country or when this was used I would greatly appreciate it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying   Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying  

Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying   Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying  

Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying   Unknown helmet (Japanese?) need help identifying  

That be a Swedish M26/65 nice one, I don't have one.

Oh crap I'm in severe lock down and may have covid and deserves to be ignored!?!

X2

You do not know how glad I am for your help, I had no idea where to look. Thank you so much!

Sorry I get grumpy sometimes!

No worries so do I, is there any way to determine the age of it? Edit: never mind that was a dumb question, /67

As far as I know Swedish helmets (other than the composite Hjalm90) have never been dated (any numbers you find will be size) so determining the actual age of the shell is impossible, no way of knowing when it was made other than the fact that that shell went into production in 1926, and then had a three-pad leather liner and two-piece leather chinstrap. Yours is the upgraded version which went into service from 1965 onwards, but we still don't know the actual age of the shell other than it must be post-1926. (NB these were mostly used by Civil defense organisations, having been replaced in first-line military service by the M37.)

You wil find good info here - (register with the site and use Chrome and autotranslate if necessary) - World War Helmets - Reference de casques de 1915 a nos jours. The absolute best helmet resource on the web.

Perfect, thank you for the information I really appreciate it!

I'm always willing to learn more on these Helmet types ,i have only the earlier m26 with leather pad liner but Can i ask if this example is in the final configuration or perhaps earlier as i notice this one has leather chinstraps present ,i am certain i have seen some examples with a green webbing chinstrap ,the type with solid and break away catches similar to the last run Swedish M37
    Regards James

Good point, James. I hadn't actually noticed the chinstrap, assuming it was what I expected it to do (OK, really poor observation, I accept that) which was the standard fabric strap with German-style (Schuberth design?) catches. This one with the leather strap is actually very unusual and I haven't seen this before. It's hard to believe that this was missed during the renovation process so perhaps a perconal preference by some individual? The world may never know. It is unusual, and it would be unrealistic to think of it as some kind of intermediate stage (unless someone finds a warehouse full of them...).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast