Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)

Article about: Hello all, I’m looking for some additional information on a pilot and the events surrounding his death. The pilot, Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103), is listed on the Volksbund as crashed and lo

Default Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)

Hello all,

I’m looking for some additional information on a pilot and the events surrounding his death.

The pilot, Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103), is listed on the Volksbund as crashed and lost at sea, there is also an entry in his Wehrpass - tödlich abgestürzt (fatally crashed) 6.8.1944.

The information from the Volksbund reads -

Georg Schaller could not be recovered. According to the information available to us, he was lost at sea. The name of the members of the German Army and Air Force who found their final resting place at sea have been recorded by the Volksbund in a memorial book. It has been put on display at the Laboe Memorial near Kiel.

Surname: Schaller

Forename: Georg

Date of birth: 08.04.1921

Place of birth: München

Date of death/becoming missing: 06.08.1944

Place of death/becoming missing: 200m nördl.d.Rollfeldgr.d.Fl.H.Parow i. Stralsunder Botten

(Parow is a village a few miles north of Stralsund in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany, where Georg Schaller was based).

The information I would like to know is if I have translated the place of death correctly,

- 200m (metres or miles?) North of the runway, luftwaffe airfield parow, located in stralsunder.

and can anyone suggest a source of information regarding the event that caused the crash and his death, eg Luftwaffe loss reports for JG.103 during August 1944 (I have scoured the internet with no luck).

Any help, information or input is most welcome,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)   Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)  

Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)   Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)  

Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)   Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)
    P
    Many

His casualty card does seem to say why but I can not decipher that little bit. That close to the runway I would assume it was a crash upon take off or landing and as JG-103 was a training unit, although also used in combat against the day light raids, it wouldn't be surprising.

Unteroffizier Georg Schaller (1./J.G.103)

Thanks hucks, brilliant information, I really appreciate it!

Unfall = accident... So it looks like your are right, an accident on either takeoff or landing..

Ertrunken= drowned. Looks like he went into the water 200m short of the runway

Thank you thecyclist64, I appreciate that!