Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

M18 Turkish stahlhelm WW1 relic

Article about: Hi everyone, I found this interresting WW1 M18 visorless helmet relic, known as the Turkish Stahlhelm for sale. It looks weird with a WW2 linerband. Apparently it was found in France, close

Default M18 Turkish stahlhelm WW1 relic

Hi everyone,

I found this interresting WW1 M18 visorless helmet relic, known as the Turkish Stahlhelm for sale. It looks weird with a WW2 linerband. Apparently it was found in France, close to the city of Vichy. It is known that about 5400 of these helmets were produced for the Ottoman army but never delivered. I found pictures of German Freikorps using these helmets during the civil rioting just after WW1.

But I never have seen one re-issued with, what looks like a M31 liner. Looks like it came out of a dump put. I would like your opinion on this helmet. Could it be that this one was used by Vichy France police or whatever? Basic question: Is this real??

Thanks Paul

Of course I asked for better photo's of the helmet and makermark/lotnumber. I hope to get these tommorrow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M18 Turkish stahlhelm WW1 relic
    P
    Many

Hi Paul,

An interesting helmet. From what I’ve read the earlier versions were made by the Turkish Army during WW1 from original German shells with the front visor trimmed. As WW1 progressed these were made in Germany. Apparently they were later used post war by the Freikorps, so I guess it’s not a huge leap in time for it to have been fitted with an M31 liner band in the early thirties for some type of use!? Seems plausible. What would be really interesting to know would be if there was a date on the liner band.

Andy

Thanks for the reply Andy,

That was my question to the seller. But he didn't want to dismantle the piece with the danger of causing damage and leave it untouched. I respect that . To my knowledge these kind of liners were first introduced in 1931. Well after the Freikorps period. The interresting fact is that the helmet was found in Vichy France. The part of France that collaborated with Nazi-germany. I will try to do some digging on re-issued german stocks to the regime, under first world war one hero Petain. Maybe there is a French member who knows something about this subject.

Cheers Paul

Paul, here’s a photo from a book I own called German Uniforms, Insignia and Equipmemt: 1918-1923 which I thought you might find interesting. The photo was taken in 1919 and shows an image of Berlin street fighting.

Unfortunately I can’t say if the M31 band is original to the shell, however I note that the bent liner band conforms to the damage in the shell and the band, shell wear age appear commensurate. I’ll see what else I can dig up.

Yes, the M31 liner was first introduced by Schuberthwerke in 1931. Some things I’ve noticed are: the helmet shell edges are crimped which is indicative of later WW1 German production as opposed to the earlier raw edge Turkish shells. The liner band appears to be an early single ply liner as encountered in early transitional and M35 helmets. The band also had a squared off D ring which is also seen in an early liner. I think this is encouraging as it makes more sense if it’s real, to have early liner hardware.

Will be interesting to see the photos when they arrive.

Cheers,
    Andy

Thanks Andy,

So cool this picture. Very nice. I did some digging on the net and found and the only liners I found where similar to the M18 ones (can't find the picture anymore). Also these helmets were made by ET in sizes 64 and 66, as far I can discover. So it must be a re-issued one from old stock. No documented proof of re-issue of these helmets after 1923.

Paul

Cheers Paul

In the end this relic fetched in auction about $850,- . A little to rich for a relic without visibel factory stamping IMO.

Cheers Paul

An original Ottoman, kabalak can go for anywhere between $7,000-20,000, which makes this look quite affordable.