Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Kriegsmarine - Looking for Puma Assault dirk

Article about: Dear friends, Earlier, I browsed Dante Gambino (son of Chip)'s website on the prowl for a beautiful naval dagger. There, I found a naval assault dagger which had one main issue. It was marke

?

Default Kriegsmarine - Looking for Puma Assault dirk

Dear friends,

Earlier, I browsed Dante Gambino (son of Chip)'s website on the prowl for a beautiful naval dagger. There, I found a naval assault dagger which had one main issue. It was marked E. P&S. All parts of the dagger were marked "37." I love the model of the dagger, but remember hearing from Tom Wittmann that Naval Assault daggers are made by only Puma with plain blades. Could someone authenticate the blade, since I've heard good things about Mr. Gambino. Additionally, if anyone could help, would they know where to find a Puma Naval Assault dirk? I thank everyone in advance.

Kriegsmarine - Looking for Puma Assault dirkKriegsmarine - Looking for Puma Assault dirk
    Last edited by Zoglet; 01-18-2021 at 01:14 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsmarine - Looking for Puma Assault dirk
    P
    Many

First of all, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "Naval Assault Dagger".
    Secondly, we do not allow the posting of just links, please save the photos and upload them directly to this thread.
    Ralph.

This thread will explain how to upload photos to your posts.
    Visual Guide to Upload Photos
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

I fixed the images. Maybe these images might be more useful?

IMO ,the dagger is a repro, actually it is a well known fact, sorry

What I remember from some past discussions elsewhere is that the son inherited his father's collection. The collection was large and had a lot of good items. Unfortunately as it turned out his father was sold some fakes - one example of which that I'm reasonably familiar with being a fairly "high end" dagger that has been well documented. It came from a very well known dealer in the TR collecting community to the father. This is not that particular dagger, or a few other items that are/were (IMO) very problematic. As for the "Puma Naval Assault Dirk" - if such an item ever made it into production in the TR era that could be a real challenge to find. Postwar not as much of a problem. Best Regards, Fred

?

Hi Zoglet,

please take a look here. Maybe this article would be helpful for you.

Puma Prototype Navy Dagger(eng.) - kriegsmarinedolch

Best,
    Oleg.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    First of all, I don't believe there is such a thing as a "Naval Assault Dagger".Ralph.
    I was worried that I had missed something there for a moment as I have never heard of such a thing

Where does the suggestion originate?

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-02-2021 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The suspicion is a paper prototype idea was turned into reality by business minded post war dealers. Wittmann seems to believe in it, though concedes "only a few" were ever made. Was Jim Atwood behind it's actual production? Interestingly Angolia in his 1971 volume on Daggers, bayonets and fighting knives, makes no mention of the type at all.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The suspicion is a paper prototype idea was turned into reality by business minded post war dealers. Wittmann seems to believe in it, though concedes "only a few" were ever made. Was Jim Atwood behind it's actual production? Interestingly Angolia in his 1971 volume on Daggers, bayonets and fighting knives, makes no mention of the type at all.
    Atwood a now well known faker has it listed with not just one maker, he said that there were three different makers. With all of his (Atwood's) materials/assets going to two individuals that I know of, but there may be more. And I know that some of it is outright postwar fakery, but it's probable that some good items were mixed in with the bad. At a time when I was working as a part of large scale computer related project I was warned about "Vaporware". Something that is announced pretending that it exists - but is never actually created. Something that should probably be added to a present day collector's vocabulary is "Dolchdampfgeschirr" because never before seen in a TR period document or resource - postwar items are still being created and sold to an unsuspecting public. (The list of them and some of the names involved would not be a short one.) Best Regards, Fred,

Quote by Frogprince View Post
    Something that should probably be added to a present day collector's vocabulary is "Dolchdampfgeschirr" Best Regards, Fred,
    Hahaha! When you say Dolchdampfgeschirr (Dagger Steamer) do you mean steamer as in "Cleveland Steamer" ?

I nearly choked on my coffee

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast