Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Third Reich Coin Purse and Coins

Article about: Hi, I've been offered these items locally. The gentleman said his father served in WWII but had to history to the items, he found them when cleaning out the house. I've never collected coins

Default Third Reich Coin Purse and Coins

Hi,

I've been offered these items locally. The gentleman said his father served in WWII but had to history to the items, he found them when cleaning out the house. I've never collected coins or coins purses, and I was wondering if I could get some feedback on these, as far as what a fair price would be to offer? I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section, I tried to find the most relevant forum. He said three of the coins were 1937 and could not read the last one.

Thanks for your help!

Alec

Third Reich Coin Purse and Coins

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Third Reich Coin Purse and Coins
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

While we don't discuss pricing on the forum as it is very subjective and can be looked up on dealer sites, this is a "one off" type of item that you will never find for sale.

Was the "Vet" a GI or a German soldier? If a GI, looks to me that the Vet added a RAD hat emblem to a coin purse he liberated.

Monetary value is low as the "sum of the parts" don't add up to much.

If you get clearer photos of the coins, you can look up their value online (careful to pay attention to the condition and compare like to like). But they are probably common and not worth much. The RAD cap badge can also be looked up on dealer sites. Maybe a $25 item.

But it is a nice conversation piece with some history behind it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

This really reminds me of some luger/P38 holsters I've encountered in the past. Every now and then you'll see German holsters with varios German badges attached to them. It was a neat way for some vets to make their war trophies stand out a bit more.

I agree with MAP's theory of it being assembled by a GI. A very cool piece of history anyway you slice it though!

Thank you both for the replies, I never knew about the war trophy "embellishments". Certainly is an interesting piece, I always enjoy finding these items locally, gives a more personal connection to these times.

- Alec

MAP
    ?

Agree, these little personal items certainly enhance a collection, while maybe not for a monetary perspective but from an historical view.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hello All,
    the addition of some embellishments can certainly be to the detriment of an historical item...Only as we see it now. When the vets brought the stuff back it was just a bit of memorabilia.

Here is a cigarette case that was used:

Third Reich Coin Purse and CoinsThird Reich Coin Purse and CoinsThird Reich Coin Purse and Coins

The badges are pretty worthless now but as a historical artefact it still has some interest.

All the best
    Doug

MAP
    ?

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Hello All,
    the addition of some embellishments can certainly be to the detriment of an historical item...Only as we see it now. When the vets brought the stuff back it was just a bit of memorabilia.

Here is a cigarette case that was used:

Third Reich Coin Purse and CoinsThird Reich Coin Purse and CoinsThird Reich Coin Purse and Coins

The badges are pretty worthless now but as a historical artefact it still has some interest.

All the best
    Doug
    Well...thank goodness it wasn't a "Heer" flak badge and only a zinc Observes badge instead of Tombak But kewl item. I like it!

And let's not talk about chromed pistols and sporterized K98 sniper rifles!! LoL

Too true Michael
    I really like this get stuff that has been decorated with memorabilia
    I’ve got a few pieces that came directly from the vet or their families.

Some I have posted in the past.

The purse is just a great little piece I’d add it to my collection in a flash. Not valuable but just something more historical than just a plain cap badge.

Speaking of rifles I remember the gun folks ticking me off when I cleaned up a G98.

All the best
    Doug

MAP
    ?

Quote by Saladin View Post
    To true Michael
    I really like this get stuff that has been decorated with memorabilia
    I’ve got a few pieces that came directly from the vet or their families.

Some I have posted in the past.

The purse is just a great little piece I’d add it to my collection in a flash. Not valuable but just something more historical than just a plain cap badge.

Speaking of rifles I remember the gun folks ticking me off when I cleaned up a G98.

All the best
    Doug
    My Dad back in the late 50's (? well...it was before I was born) was given a very nice K98 that looked to be a sniper variant...Someone crudely cut it down to make it into a hunting rifle! Ouch!!!

Some vet embellishments are not too bad, while others make me cringe. I saw a chromed Spreewerk P38 at a pawnshop a few months ago.

It would have been a beautiful example if bubba didn't get his hands on it