Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Miniature dagger paper knife info

Article about: I recently started researching a WW2 era German letter opener given to me by my Grandfather. Sadly, it went missing following a house party in the early 1980’s. It’s been on my mind in r

?

Default Miniature dagger letter opener/paper knife info

I recently started researching a WW2 era German letter opener given to me by my Grandfather. Sadly, it went missing following a house party in the early 1980’s. It’s been on my mind in recent years and I still wanted to find out more about it. Whilst I never took any photographs of it, I now know it was the version modeled on the German officers naval dagger (Kriegsmarine Offiziersdolch). These are typically about 8" in length (20-25cm).

These examples are exactly the same as the one I once owned:

I noticed there have been some threads regarding this popping up from time to time. These are described as either letter openers or miniature daggers.

Here's a comparison photo:

Puma of Solingen, Germany are one company which were producing these both during and after WW2. These were used as letter openers by civilians including, businessmen, politicians and no doubt, officials and military staff. There were two military style versions, modeled on the designs of the officers Navy dagger and the Luftwaffe dagger. These were never produced with a swastika, which made them ideal post-war products.

The handles were made of cast iron or aluminum and the blade made of forged steel. Apparently some models had matching sheaths but I've not seen one with a sheath.

Between 1936 and 1945 Puma manufactured bayonets , officer 's daggers , Hitler Youth travel knives and combat knives during the war. The company began selling knives again for civilian use from as early as 1946. That’s quite impressive considering the devastation caused by the war and the shortage of steel in the early days.

I’ve been looking at as many photographs as I can find and the quality seems to be fairly consistent. This makes it very hard indeed, if not impossible to distinguish from those made during WW2 and those made afterwards.

This auction house photograph described the three naval versions 1-3 as post-war paper knives.

It seems that some were even sold as souvenirs, as this photograph below shows. I’m sure occupying soldiers purchased these to take home.

These are also sometimes confused with the ‘salesman’ miniature daggers. The clear difference being that the salesman samples are of a much better quality.

Others were sold in presentation cases as seen here. I don’t know if these versions were only produced during or after the war. The painted version is probably the one most likely to be mistaken for a ‘salesman’ sample.

What’s also surprising is that Puma knives are still producing these letter openers today as “Miniatur Marine Dolch” and “Miniatur Luftwaffen Dolch”. The only noticeable difference is that they have the Puma Solingden makers stamp on the blade.

I've also seen one slight variation which had a different pommel and this was described as a WW1 Imperial German Navy piece, as see here.

The value of these varies greatly, depending on the description - as either a letter opener or miniature dagger. I’ve seen many which in my opinion are overpriced for what they really are – a letter opener made during and after the war.

I hope this information will help others and if you do own one, please post it here for comparison and future reference.
    Last edited by Simonk; 06-15-2021 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added letter opener to title, added aditional info and corrected a few typos

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Miniature dagger paper knife info
    P
    Many

Interesting little essay. You are right in that there is some confusion about the purpose of these miniature knives. In fact the tradition is older than Third Reich era, and goes back to Imperial era pre WW1 and could have developed from the miniature sword tradition for children (Kindersabel) that makers like Eickhorn made around early 1900's. The "salesman" sample idea is a false theory as catalogues of the time show they were just another product and usually sold for letter openers. They were also popular tourist souvenirs as you point out. Quality as you mention does vary considerably, and presumably at the time, price.
    One type you didn't mention was the miniature KS98 parade bayonet. Some of these have etched company names and clearly were given away to customers.

Impressive research Simon...Good Job
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

By a remarkable co-incidence, I purchased one of these today for €60 (£52/$73).

I'd already planned to visit this particular shop to see their deactivated WW2 Finnish machine guns and M55 helmets. There was a stack of M55 helmets in mint un-issued condition for a hefty €200. After chatting with the owner for some time about knives, which he has many, I mentioned the paper knife I was researching when he went to a drawer and pulled one out.

I hesitated because it was more than I would have liked to pay, but I respect a dealer has to make a profit somehow. It was one of those 'buy it now' or lose it moments. Especially after just writing about it here, it seemed too good an opportunity to miss.

When I initially examined it I thought it was slightly smaller and not such good quality as I remember, but I think that's more fading memory than reality since it was around 40 years ago since I lost mine.

I can’t be sure if this one was made during the war or if it’s one of the post-war versions, but I’m pleased to have one either way. My instinct tells me it’s more likely to be post-war since the definition isn’t as good as I’ve seen in photos from some of the others in my earlier post.

It measures 27cm long from the pommel to the tip of the blade and 5cm across the hilt. It weighs 64g.

The shop owner also showed me his SS dagger from his own personal collection - the first time I've ever handled one.

Last edited by Simonk; 06-16-2021 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Included £ and $ to price paid

?

Another quick update here as I can no longer seem to edit my original post since I added another to this thread.

Just to add that I'm not certain that Puma knives are still making these - I just assumed they were after seeing photos on their website. I've not been able to find prices anywhere so it could be the photos on their German website are archive photos only. I stand to be corrected.

?

I've been doing a bit more digging and found this one currently listed on the German eBay site for €95. There were also two which sold during March on eBay Germany - one sold for €49 and the other €72. Can't say these are that rare if you keep your eyes open.

IMO, if there is no swastika, they are post war.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

The Puma knives own website states they were making these letter openers both during and after the war. I believe the one my Grandfather originally gave me was something he ‘appropriated’ at some point during his wartime service in North Africa and Europe. That one he gave me was identical to the versions here, without a swastika.

The eagle pommel is Third Reich type, so without a swas, definitely post WW2. In fact the rough quality suggests 1950's probably aimed at the GI market. The swas was officially banned in Germany about 1950 so could no longer be used in new made items.

CBH
    ?

Tourists trinkets, make to sell to GI’s, nice and small to fit into duffel bags etc.
    Puma and other dagger manufacturers where out of work after the TR, so they made money selling these weak copies of TR letter openers, etc. The poor quality screams post-war.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast