Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)

Article about: I bought this Helmet cover, and wanted to know if its old or correct for the period(ww1)? Any help would be great.

Default M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)

I bought this Helmet cover, and wanted to know if its old or correct for the period(ww1)? Any help would be great. M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)

- - ------- - -

Sorry about the pictures being upside down, I dont know how that happend.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M16 Burlap Cover(hessian)
    P
    Many

I’m no expert on these but IMO it has some red flags, there’s a lot of very clean spots on it for being over 100 years old aswell as some areas looking very dirty. It looks like there is almost no wear around the rim edges where I would think there should be, but maybe this was a unissued one? Wait for others to chime in.

I am afraid it's a replica. I just saw one original in my life in a museum in Ieper.

Cheers Paul

Quote by Irish1965 View Post
    I am afraid it's a replica. I just saw one original in my life in a museum in Ieper.

Cheers Paul
    My feelings exactly, the staining of the hessian looks contrived, and the holes are not at all convincing... and how odd there is no wear to the hessian around the edge of the helmet. If you purchased this in the belief it is genuine, then I would try and return it to the seller and ask for a refund.

Cheers,
    Steve

I figured it was not genuine, it looked like it had some age, plus I thought it would look cool as a display. I did not pay much for it, so no harm done really.

If you did not pay much for it, then that was your answer to its authenticity.

True but I was not 100% sure. I bought a genuine M16 a few years ago for fairly cheap since the seller did not know what he was selling. I only paid 50 Euros for the helmet. So I mean its not 100% impossible to find authentic items for low prices.

Is it possible that the cover could still be 50/60 plus years old. But being a replica cover?

Best regards Kai

Does it really matter how old it might be? Its still a repro!

These were not produced after 1918. Maybe some were still used by the Reichswehr after WW1. So repro is if it's not older than 103 years old.

Cheers Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast