Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ww2 German Gas Mask

Article about: Hi, I am not sure about this one... found online... fake or original?. The seller says it is a child gasmask. Thanks in advance

Default Ww2 German Gas Mask

Hi, I am not sure about this one... found online... fake or original?. The seller says it is a child gasmask.
    Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ww2 German Gas Mask   Ww2 German Gas Mask  

Ww2 German Gas Mask   Ww2 German Gas Mask  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ww2 German Gas Mask
    P
    Many

Original Volksmaske and filter, for civilians rather than for military issue.

As already stated, a perfectly authentic civilian gas mask. These were usually issued in flat cardboard boxes, but can sometimes be found in circular tins, as carried by members of the Luftschutz.

B.B.

Thanks, the dealer will sell it a £20 as no box etc. Is that good deal I reckon... what do you think?

Quote by Markus87 View Post
    Thanks, the dealer will sell it a £20 as no box etc. Is that good deal I reckon... what do you think?
    Seems perfectly fair to me. Personally I’d wait for a complete one with the box and instruction manual.

B.B.

Quote by Markus87 View Post
    Fair price nowadays as they have gone up alot. As BB says they are not uncommon to find boxed. Good for now if you're wanting to fill a space but you might find a complete set if you are patient.

Needless to say the filter is asbestos filled so DO NOT PUT IT ON.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 09-06-2021 at 02:25 PM. Reason: H&S

Thanks, no worries I won't put it on... I know. By the way, I have a Luftshultz helmet and I want to combine it with this gas mask on a Head display... no need for a box. Thanks again

As well as the asbestos in the filter, these masks also have a ring of white asbestos on the inside of the face-piece, around the inlet valve. It was intended to absorb moisture, mainly sweat and saliva, generated while the mask was being worn. You can just about see it in the last photo, on the extreme left inside the mask.

The asbestos ring isn’t secured in any way, so most collectors will simply remove it and throw it away, though that of course comes with its own risks. If left in place, it won’t do you any harm. Just treat the mask as you would any other respirator of WWII vintage.

B.B.

Oh wow... so I can see from other thread, collectors are sealing it with pouring PVC... can I use silicone sealant inside the filter? What I can use if I dont have PVC ? Thanks

I’ve always used PVA wood glue for sealing my gas masks. It sets clear, so it’s pretty much invisible once it dries. Personally, I’d leave the asbestos ring inside the mask alone. If all it’s doing is sitting on a shelf, it’s not going to cause any problems. The asbestos in the filter won’t be a problem unless air passes through it, which should be never!

B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast