Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Adrian helmets

Article about: Hello everyone , For a while I haven't been online here and I have collected a lot of interesting stuff to share with all of you. But today I wanted to ask you all a question. I bought 3 Adr

Default Adrian helmets

Hello everyone ,

For a while I haven't been online here and I have collected a lot of interesting stuff to share with all of you. But today I wanted to ask you all a question.
    I bought 3 Adrian helmets for the purpose of a restoration project. I only needed 2 but I could only buy three of them. I assumed that all of them had fake paint on them but the first one with liner seems like an original to me. If it's indeed an original I of course won't paint over it. The other two seem to have been messed with, but I want to be sure as I do not want to erase any history.

Thanks in advance for any help

Cheers,
    Lucas
    Adrian helmetsAdrian helmetsAdrian helmetsAdrian helmets
    Adrian helmetsAdrian helmets

Adrian helmetsAdrian helmetsAdrian helmetsAdrian helmets

Adrian helmetsAdrian helmetsAdrian helmets

- - ------- - -

I have no idea why all the pictures are upside down /:

?

Hello,
    I am no expert but the one with the liner looks original to me.
    The other two I belive are civil defence helmets so I would figure out if the re-paint was period done, or had some meaning behind those colours before you restore it.
    However it is yours so you can do what you want.
    Just trying to help.

Regards,
    Daniel

?

If you decide to restore them one thing you could do is look for areas where the paint has chipped off and try to see if there is any original paint underneath. If there may be original paint in good condition you could try to remove only the top layer. The factory paint is usually stronger than whatever paint is on top, as I belive it was baked on (but can't guarantee that)
    I have used this method with great success before and was able to save the original paint on helmets. Without painting over them.
    But remember that it is your helmet and you could do what you want.
    Again, I am just trying to help.

Regards,
    Daniel

Hello Daniel,

Thank you very much for your help! Yes I also believe that the one with the liner is original and thus I will leave it as is.
    The other ones seem to be repainted post-war. If anyone else has any other insight I'd love to hear it

Cheers,
    Lucas