Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Looking for more info/confirmation about 7185 Sergeant Jan Łojewski

Article about: Hello I have some documentation regarding my grandfather Jan Łojewski. I have also some informations from my family and looking for more... I know for sure (from documentation) that: 1. Was

?

Default Looking for more info/confirmation about 7185 Sergeant Jan Łojewski

Hello
    I have some documentation regarding my grandfather Jan Łojewski. I have also some informations from my family and looking for more...

I know for sure (from documentation) that:

1. Was born on 6 May 1914 in Warsaw, Poland
    2. Died on 23 September 1989 in Warsaw, Poland
    3. Father: Jan Łojewski Mother: Eugenia Łojewska (Family surname: Wikiera), Wife: Helena Łojewska (Family surname: Gruszczyńska)
    4. Took part in campaign in Poland in September 1939. Then made his way to France and joined to Polish Armed Forces.
    5. Received medals:
    • Polish: Army Medal
    • British: 1939-45 Star, France & Germany Star, Defence Medal

6. Discharged honourably in June 1947 and then return to Warsaw Poland.
    7. Joined the The Society of Fighters for Freedom and Democracy in 1976. I have confirmation, veteran card and document from army records from UK dated on 1976 which was needed to confirm his military service (attached) (Polish: Związek Bojowników o Wolność i Demokrację, ZBoWiD).

To be confirmed (information from family mostly his granddaughter):
    1. Service in 1st Polish Armoured Division in 1st Polish Antitank Regiment.
    2. Had friend from Eastern Poland (Maybe Zamość, Maybe Puławy). Both returned from the War and met in Warsaw probably in 60s or 70s ? Nobody remember his name.
    3. He had an offer to stay in Britain and bring his family there. Despite the situation in Poland, he decided to return to Poland. After years he said that he had preferred to be a Duffer in Poland than foreigner in Great Britian.

And last information... Not complete but intresting....
    In the old age, he suffered from asthma, among others. When he needed medicine, my family sent prescription from Poland to London. In response, they received medicines. After receiving the drugs, they sent the card back (I found one, and attached below) as confirmation of receipt of the package. On this card there is address from the UK: ACTON EXPORT, 79 Midhurst Road, London W13 9XP.

Now I'm waiting for some documents in Poland to confirm kinship. When I receive it, I will get documents from Office for War Veterans and Victims of Oppression in Warsaw. I have already talked with them.
    I want also get the records from the UK mod. I found some informations on How To Get Polish Military Records From The UK MOD – Swooping Eagle.
    Could someone confirm that it is still actual ?

Thanks in advance!

Hello seood,

May I be the first to welcome you to the Forum to obtain copies of the service record for your Grandfather, I have placed the link to the British Ministry of Defence web site below just click on the link :

Get a copy of military service records: Apply for the records of someone who's deceased - GOV.UK

What I would advise is that you ask for copies of all records that they have, otherwise you will just receive a copy of the letter stating his service that you already have, they do charge for this service now days.

Best wishes in your search for more information on your Grandfather's service, have you also written to the Polish Army Records Centre to see what information they hold, if he served prior to the September 1939 Campaign.

Happy New Year to you Seood

Andrzej

?

Thank you for your response!
    I haven't collected all documents to obtain british records yet. I still waiting for one document to proof my kinship.

In the meantime, I talked to a friend who works for the Polish Army Museum in Warsaw. He found some informations about my great grandfather.
    I have included translated info below. As he wrote to me, Jan Łojewski was in supply units of the 1st Armored Division. Do you know where I can find some informations regarding this formation ?

Best Wishes for the new year 2022!

Platoon-leader Jan Łojewski

Born on 6 May 1914 in Warsaw

Military service in the 3rd armored battalion in Warsaw from February 1937 to December 1938.
    Trained in the specialty of a car driver.

According to the military record, he was mobilized on August 24, 1939, to the 1st Infantry Regiment.
    It could probably be the 1st Infantry Regiment of the Border Protection Corps (in Polish: 1. pułk piechoty Korpusu Ochrony Pogranicza), which was
    subordinate to the 10th Cavalry Brigade (in Polish: 10. Brygada Kawalerii). In this formation he took part in the fighting in 1939.

From September 1, 1939, he took part in the campaign in Poland.

He crossed the Polish-Hungarian border on September 19, 1939.

He made his way to France and in May 1940 joined the Polish Armed Forces. Took part in the French campaign from June 1, 1940 to June 15, 1940. He probably fought in the ranks of the 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade. The records are not very precise, but his specialization and combat experience from 1939 clearly indicate such a possibility.

On June 24, he was evacuated with the rest of the soldiers to England. From July 1, 1940, he was under British command. Finally, he was incorporated into the 10th supply company (in Polish: 10. kompania zaopatrywania) of the 1st Armored Division (in Polish: 1. Dywizji Pancernej). It was the unit responsible for supplying the 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade.

He participates in the campaigns of the 1st Armored Division from August 8, 1944 to May 8, 1945. Trail combat passes through France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. On June 16, 1947, he was released for repatriation to Poland.

On June 16, he was discharged for repatriation to Poland.

Awarded:
    • Army Medal
    • 1939-1945 Star
    • France & Germany Star
    • Defence Medal

Hello Seood,

Many thanks for your reply, the PISM in London would be your best place for information in your Grandfathers unit, some of the Archive is available on line, otherwise it would involve a visit to the PISM which at this time of the Pandemic is not feasible and if you ask them to search up to 2 hours they will charge you £25.00p payment in advance with no guarantee of finding any thing and it may take up to 6 months for a reply.

Best wishes

Andrzej