Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wwii US 58th Military Police

Article about: Hi all: I have this WWII grouping of a Clerk Typist, who belonged to the 58th Military Police Company, campaigns in Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Normandy. Discharge Papers, photos, dog tag, Ike

Default Wwii US 58th Military Police

Hi all:
    I have this WWII grouping of a Clerk Typist, who belonged to the 58th Military Police Company, campaigns in Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Normandy. Discharge Papers, photos, dog tag, Ike jacket.
    The Ike jacket is a bit incomplete, the patches to the Corps, Unit or Command are missing....
    What would be the correct patches for the 58th Military Police Co. in Naples in 1943-44?
    I can't find any information about it.
    One of the left shoulder patches, which one would it be? The 5th Army or the 7th Army?
    I would probably sew it to restore the Ike jacket or leave it in one of the pockets
    And on the right shoulder?

Thanks a lotWwii US 58th Military Police
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii US 58th Military Police   Wwii US 58th Military Police  

Last edited by javimetal; 01-20-2022 at 04:02 PM.

?

A very nice collection of this Gent's service.

Well, Not sure if they used the same shoulder patch, But here is the current one they use.
    This photo is from their Facebook page.

58th Military Police Company

Maybe join and ask on there about the WW2 version.
    I'm sure they have a historian on there!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Yes, I saw it, but I think that patch started to be used after the Korean War.
    I think un WWII, that one of the patches they would use would be that of the 5th Army or 7th Army in Occupation of Italy, but I don't know which one this Police Company was assigned .
    Also, although it sounds strange, I don't have Facebook

Yes, I saw it, but I think that patch started to be used after the Korean War. I think that one of the patches they would use would be that of the 5th Army or 7th Army, but I don't know which one this Police Company was assigned to

Hi there

US Regiments/Battalions/Companies were not authorized pathes or scrolls , including the Ranger Bn's.

What they would of used were locally made scrolls and or patch of their own design, locally approved by their commander.

The unit they were currently assigned at the time would of been on their left shoulder and at the end of the war and latter the right shoulder patch would of had a combat patch , unsure of the date when this was introduced as it only became official well after the war.

The closest I can offer you as an example of a theatre made patch made for the 58th MP Co., Eighth Army 1960-mid 60's Japanese made,false embroidery.
    Again this was unauthorized and locally worn with commanders permission.

I just received this week!

So for WWII it would be a Italian theatre made scroll over a US or Italian Theatre made patch.

Fifth Army Italian made Woven SSI are common and not expensive.

Maybe I should of reversed the patches for calrity sake, hope its not confusing.

Wwii US 58th Military Police Wwii US 58th Military Police

Italian teatre made Fifth Army Woven WWII

Wwii US 58th Military PoliceWwii US 58th Military Police

Phill

Assigned Fifth Army Activated 1943-Inactivated 1946

Rome-Arno Campaign 22 January to 9 September 1944) U.S. 5th Army advanced 150 miles to the Arno River. The unsuccessful attempt to break the Gustav Line on 22 January was followed by another unsuccessful effort in March when the infantry failed to push through after bombers had endeavored to open the line at Monte Cassino. Allied air power then began a vigorous campaign against railroads, highways, and shipping that supported German forces in Italy. With supply lines strangled, the Germans could not repulse the new drive launched by the Allies in May. German resistance crumbled. By 4 June 1944 the Allies had taken Rome. But the advance ground to a halt against a new defensive line the enemy established along the Arno River.

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi there

US Regiments/Battalions/Companies were not authorized pathes or scrolls , including the Ranger Bn's.

What they would of used were locally made scrolls and or patch of their own design, locally approved by their commander.

The unit they were currently assigned at the time would of been on their left shoulder and at the end of the war and latter the right shoulder patch would of had a combat patch , unsure of the date when this was introduced as it only became official well after the war.

The closest I can offer you as an example of a theatre made patch made for the 58th MP Co., Eighth Army 1960-mid 60's Japanese made,false embroidery.
    Again this was unauthorized and locally worn with commanders permission.

I just received this week!

So for WWII it would be a Italian theatre made scroll over a US or Italian Theatre made patch.

Fifth Army Italian made Woven SSI are common and not expensive.

Maybe I should of reversed the patches for calrity sake, hope its not confusing.

Wwii US 58th Military Police Wwii US 58th Military Police

Italian teatre made Fifth Army Woven WWII

Wwii US 58th Military PoliceWwii US 58th Military Police

Phill
    Beautiful patches. Thanks for the information. 5 Army confirmed. Probably on the left shoulder.

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Assigned Fifth Army Activated 1943-Inactivated 1946

Rome-Arno Campaign 22 January to 9 September 1944) U.S. 5th Army advanced 150 miles to the Arno River. The unsuccessful attempt to break the Gustav Line on 22 January was followed by another unsuccessful effort in March when the infantry failed to push through after bombers had endeavored to open the line at Monte Cassino. Allied air power then began a vigorous campaign against railroads, highways, and shipping that supported German forces in Italy. With supply lines strangled, the Germans could not repulse the new drive launched by the Allies in May. German resistance crumbled. By 4 June 1944 the Allies had taken Rome. But the advance ground to a halt against a new defensive line the enemy established along the Arno River.

Phill
    Thanks for the extensive explanation. I think would wear the 5 Army patch on left shoulder

For example 3rd Army
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wwii US 58th Military Police  

Yes Left shoulder current unit assigned

US Third Army Fought NW Europe Patton "Blood and Guts", His blood our Guts" Third Army!

Right shoulder ETO as a Former wartime Service then last assignment Third Army

Phill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast