Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mimikri helmet legit?

Article about: Hi everyone, I came across this mimkri helmet. The inside is repainted in a bad way. There are no markings visible, according to the seller, but it looks like a 62 size. The liner is a repro

Default Mimikri helmet legit?

Hi everyone,

I came across this mimkri helmet. The inside is repainted in a bad way. There are no markings visible, according to the seller, but it looks like a 62 size. The liner is a repro. The outside should be untouched. But with 'restoration' like this on the inside of the dome it makes me wonder. What do you think?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Thx Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Mimikri helmet legit?
    P
    Many

Not the best of pictures to judge from, there's a lot of reflected white light on the images. But the wear on the top of the helmet looks pretty convincing - although sharper images might reveal it to be fake or genuine. It might sound as though I am sitting on the fence, but I'm not. I just wouldn't like to commit one way or the other based on these photographs. The inside has definitely been repainted, and that liner is a cracking repro!

Cheers,
    Steve

The outside mimikry paintwork and the wear looks very convincing. I'm a bit concerned that if it was an original helmet why would someone repaint the inside. Just not something I would do myself

My thoughts exactly. The paint job on the inside is badly done. The outside looks like it's not done by the same person and has the patina it should have. Even some field grey can be seen where the camo paint is missing. I'm still wondering about the sand in the black lines. I never encountered that.

Also the blue as the fourth color was not regulation as I'm to believe. But there are examples known.

Hmmmm. Hard nut to crack.

Cheers Paul

MAP
    ?

The inside is very concerning to me. It all looks forced.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    The inside is very concerning to me. It all looks forced.
    What do you mean forced?

This is the text going with the helmet:

"It is an M16 hull with an unusual camouflage paint because it is made of 4 colors: brown, ochre, green and blue.

I speak of a hull because even if this helmet has a leather liner, this is a copy and the interior of the helmet has undergone an unfortunate "restoration" by the former owner who thought he was doing well... I am only attaching two photos of the interior, that's more than enough to get an idea of ​​the damage that caused a good part of the value of the helmet to be lost...

Nevertheless, the exterior has a great patina and it really is a beautiful display piece.

I tried to put a maximum of photos taken from all angles.

No hull number visible but there is a slight dent where it should be, it must be hidden by the unfortunate restoration...

Helmet to leave as is or remove the cap and try to remove this internal layer of paint. Maybe there are still beautiful remnants of the original underneath."

I think you revere to this.

Anyway I asked for some daylight and detailed pictures from the dealer. I'll post them if I receive these.

Cheers Paul

MAP
    ?

I am trying to say that the interior looks to be forcefully "aged".
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Paul,

To my eyes the outside paint is period. Interesting as what we generally see, is reversed with this example. Often the outside is faked and the inside untouched. Yes, the inside has indeed been painted along with the fitting of the retro liner. What a pity. Based on these images, although very poor, if the inside was untouched I would purchase this helmet. The outside looks as expected of an imperial camo with regard to age am patina. It does appear to be a size 62. Perhaps a Gnuchtel or ET?

The blue/green panel is not unusual and I have seen this many times and own a helmet with this colour. Although colours were suggested in the directive, it stated “ One of the three colors must match the basic color found in the region of fighting”, and so a vast array of colours can be encountered including blues and reds. The directive also stated that damp earth could be added to the paint to dull it down and this is also often encountered including examples where sand is mixed in with the paint over the entire helmet.

I think it’s a great shame as aside from the interior, it’s a very nice camo. If the price was right and you can live with the messed with interior, I think it would display very well.

Andy

I will receive some daylight pictures from the seller end of the week. I'm in doubt if I will bid on this one. Maybe I'll take my chances and am able to remove the layer of postwar paint to possibly recover the original factory paint.

Thx for all your input. I'll post the picture later this week.

Cheers Paul

Below is an example of a WW1 German camouflage helmet that has been heavily textured with sand. Thanks to Samual Cormier for allowing me to post these images.

Also, a blue/green painted panel not dissimilar to the one in this post.

I have seen a lacquered helmet with the paint removed and the result was amazing, however you would need to find an artist or similar who was sympathetic to this type of job. I would think someone that restores paintings would be a good place to start.

Mimikri helmet legit?Mimikri helmet legit?

Mimikri helmet legit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast