Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)

Article about: I purchased a group of items that a veteran captured during his time in the Pacific. I believe all items belonged to the same Japanese soldier. I do not have any history on the veteran that

Default Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)

I purchased a group of items that a veteran captured during his time in the Pacific. I believe all items belonged to the same Japanese soldier. I do not have any history on the veteran that brought these items back. However, a lot of history can be revealed by the dog tag alone. The dog has Tsushogo code 7768 identifying it to the 59th Infantry Regiment. The reverse of the tag also has the pre-tsusho 59th Infantry Regiment code. This links the dog tag to the Battle of Anguar where the Americans of the 81st Infantry Division fought the Japanese 59th Infantry Regiment in one of the fiercest battles of the Pacific. The Japanese suffered 1338 killed out of its 1400 defenders engaged at Anguar. American casualties would exceed those of the Japanese. Many of the items are battle worn and too faded to translate, but I am still curious what they are or their purpose. Any translation help or identification of the items would be greatly appreciated. The group also came with a partial translation, but I am not sure which item it pertains to and if it is accurate.

Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)

?

Congrats on this pickup, a very nice tag. The cloth ID is not from the Angaur/Peleliu area but civilian used in the Philippines. I can see the 81st Div. collecting arc, but the group was not all from the same Japanese soldier.

Tom

Concur about the names Miyamae Seikichi [宮前清吉] and Miyamae Taichirō [宮前太一郎] that are written on the board. Taichirō could also be pronounced Tai'ichirō

The red fabric with writing: too faint to read, even after trying to adjust colors.

The plastic covered ID is for a local national (Philippino?) worker -- have seen these on the fora before. I'm assuming Philippines .... maybe someone can make out my broken reading:

%がツナ%
    %ガルが% Ma%garuga%
    Above Sun: No. 157 91
    Below Sun:47*
    イド Ido
    レムノダ Remunoda /Lemnoda

I cannot figure out the katakana he writes as % -- the writer is not Japanese.

The bag appears to have a person's name, but I cannot figure out that last kanji:

いほ iho [dunno!]
    夏目 軍* Natsume Gun*

-- Guy

?

Guy,
    The far right パ%がツナ% is Pangasinan in the PI. Many of these tags that were brought back as souvenirs were from this part of the PI for some reason. The 47 is the person's age. Normally, many are marked by the simple form of 歳, but in this case, "nen" is used.

The red cloth is a good luck charm from a Shinto shrine, but kanji can't be made out.

Tom

That's awesome, thank you so much for the help on the translations!

Thanks Tom!

パンがツナン
    Pangashinan
    Pangasinan

マンガルがン
    Mangarugan
    Mangalugan [name]

イド
    Ido [surname]

47年
    47 years [is that really 年??????]

-- Guy

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post

47年
    47 years [is that really 年??????]

-- Guy
    As far as I can tell: ネン

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post
    as far as i can tell: ネン
    D'OH!

Thanks Tom .... time for me to retire -- I thought that was a funky kanji and my brain would not see it any other way .... yup, getting too old for this young-man's business!
    Here's the clean-up:

パンがツナン
    Pangashinan
    Pangasinan

マンガルがン
    Mangarugan
    Mangalugan [name]

イド
    Ido [surname]

47ネン
    47 years

レムノダ Remunoda /Lemnoda

Here's another for comparison:

-- Guy

Thank you both! So nice to put names and locations to the items.

I received these items in the mail today and tried taking a better photo of the personal effects bag. I tried editing them but the previous photos are probably better than mine. The last character is still very faded but I tried writing what it looks like to me if this would help at all. Please forgive my handwriting.

Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)Japanese KIA Group (Translation and Identification)
    Last edited by kingsmountaincollector; 06-21-2023 at 04:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast