Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?

Article about: The ricasso of the blade is blank on both sides and there are no external serial numbers present. There are two "Droop Eagle" Waffenamt 253s stamped on the pommel, one "Straig

Default WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?

The ricasso of the blade is blank on both sides and there are no external serial numbers present. There are two "Droop Eagle" Waffenamt 253s stamped on the pommel, one "Straight Eagle" on the lug press stud and one just under the lip of the flashguard on the spine of the tang. The tang is also marked with a "Straight Eagle" Waffenamt 253 stamp as well as both grip panels. The mix of "Droop" and "Straight" era Waffenamt stamps is interesting and could suggest production during a transitional period. Both sides of the spine are marked, a "Script a" and what appears to be a "Police Eagle B."

The tang is stamped with two serial numbers, 9728 and 1460. 9728 is found on both grips, the flashguard and the tang. 1460 is found on the flat side of the lug release on the reverse side of the pommel and also the tang. A "Straight Eagle" Waffenamt stamp is also present but I cannot read the number. All serial numbers appear to be internal. I do own maker marked, military accepted examples that have a similar serial number arrangement, especially concerning the lug release. Seems more common in the 30s made blades than later and that some companies kept this practice in use longer than others.

The blade is unsharpened and shares the same profile as a standard Wehrmacht accepted example. Blade length is about 25.2 centimeters and the width at the ricasso is about 5.5 millimeters. The bluing appears to be a "high polish" finish, something similar to a "commercial" finish on a private purchase pistol from the same era. The finish is very strong and only mild scabbard wear is present.

The scabbard appears to be standard 40s German construction and has no serial number or maker's stamps. However, the finial is stamped with what appears to be a "Straight Eagle" Waffenamt numbered 253, the same number found on the bayonet. This would strongly appear to indicate the bayonet and scabbard are a "matching" pair and have been together since completion.

This blade appears to embody many of the characteristics as described by K98k Forum user pwcosol's wonderful, authoritative guide to Behoerdens and could possibly belong to "GROUP II" of the "SECTION II: UNATTRIBUTED B/E BAYONETS." However, there are striking similarities to the 1937 Portuguese Contract examples that are described in "SECTION III: EXPORT BAYONETS." And that "Script a" with 253 stamps could suggest...Spain? I have read that there are known Polizei contracts that were partially fulfilled with bayonets pulled from export production (marked with "Script a" and "Script o" stamps) but cannot find any examples to confirm this speculation. I would greatly appreciate any information or insights you could offer!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?   WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?  

WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?   WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?  

WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?   WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW2 German Behoerden Export 84/98 III Bayonet Police Polizei Contract?
    P
    Many

I would say it was destined for the Portugal contract of 1937, but pulled out for use by German Police. It has the Police eagle mark. The fact there are WaA253 on the pommel would suggest to me it's wasn't a Spanish contract bayonet.
    lovely condition with this one.

Anderson, thank you for taking a moment to reply and your spot-on observations. I too am inclined to believe this bayonet could have been produced for the first Portuguese contract, as those blades were all "WaA253" stamped. As this example lacks the commonly found serial number stamped on the pommel, it would make sense that it never left Germany and was acquired by a State agency for internal use. The K98 Bayonet Registry also has three identical examples listed as "Military Police" bayonets, each with the same Police Eagle stamp on the spine. The overall condition truly is superb, making it hard to believe this bayonet is almost 90 years old!

Were all German Police organizations outfitted with K98k rifles? I have seen photographs of Orpo and SchuPo armed with Mauser rifles, as well as Feldgendarmerie / Feldjägerkorps troops. As the K98 Registry attributes this variation as used by "Military Police," which branches were commonly issued rifles?

Quote by komet45 View Post
    The ricasso of the blade is blank on both sides and there are no external serial numbers present. There are two "Droop Eagle" Waffenamt 253s stamped on the pommel, one "Straight Eagle" on the lug press stud and one just under the lip of the flashguard on the spine of the tang. The tang is also marked with a "Straight Eagle" Waffenamt 253 stamp as well as both grip panels. The mix of "Droop" and "Straight" era Waffenamt stamps is interesting and could suggest production during a transitional period. Both sides of the spine are marked, a "Script a" and what appears to be a "Police Eagle B."

The tang is stamped with two serial numbers, 9728 and 1460. 9728 is found on both grips, the flashguard and the tang. 1460 is found on the flat side of the lug release on the reverse side of the pommel and also the tang. A "Straight Eagle" Waffenamt stamp is also present but I cannot read the number. All serial numbers appear to be internal. I do own maker marked, military accepted examples that have a similar serial number arrangement, especially concerning the lug release. Seems more common in the 30s made blades than later and that some companies kept this practice in use longer than others.

The blade is unsharpened and shares the same profile as a standard Wehrmacht accepted example. Blade length is about 25.2 centimeters and the width at the ricasso is about 5.5 millimeters. The bluing appears to be a "high polish" finish, something similar to a "commercial" finish on a private purchase pistol from the same era. The finish is very strong and only mild scabbard wear is present.

The scabbard appears to be standard 40s German construction and has no serial number or maker's stamps. However, the finial is stamped with what appears to be a "Straight Eagle" Waffenamt numbered 253, the same number found on the bayonet. This would strongly appear to indicate the bayonet and scabbard are a "matching" pair and have been together since completion.

This blade appears to embody many of the characteristics as described by K98k Forum user pwcosol's wonderful, authoritative guide to Behoerdens[/URL] and could possibly belong to "GROUP II" of the "SECTION II: UNATTRIBUTED B/E BAYONETS." However, there are striking similarities to the 1937 Portuguese Contract examples that are described in "SECTION III: EXPORT BAYONETS." And that "Script a" with 253 stamps could suggest...Spain? I have read that there are known Polizei contracts that were partially fulfilled with bayonets pulled from export production (marked with "Script a" and "Script o" stamps) but cannot find any examples to confirm this speculation. I would greatly appreciate any information or insights you could offer!
    An interesting thread, When I acquired my example I compared it to the combat bayonets eventualy deciding it was possibly Hörster circa 1939, with the smooth frog stud for me eliminating the 1st Portuguese contract. The early Hörster Behörden bayonets having a "commercial" type of marking. There was an element of the German Police that were issued rifles and combat bayonets as for the Army, with the earliest bayonets having the "Sunburst" type of stamps. The Spanish contract bayonets minus flash guards also have a different type of finish. Best Regards, Fred

Hello,

I agree with Anderson. This is a bayonet produced for export, which was taken for German authorities, here the police. The exact background is unknown today.

The WaA stamps speak for this.

Regards

Thank you all for the wonderful information and positive comments, they are all very much appreciated. I am happy to have this interesting piece in my collection and found it at just the right time too. I had been in a bit of a "collecting rut" after missing out on a rough Tropical Luftwaffe Survival Machete, I found this bayonet at a local flea market the following weekend and needless to say it restored my faith and my spirits too!