Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch Hakenkreuzbemalung Stahlhelm

Article about: Hello all, I found an interesting picture of an early Transitional 'M-16' that claims to be from the Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch of 1920 and I was wondering if anyone had any more information or p

Default Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch Hakenkreuzbemalung Stahlhelm

Hello all,
    I found an interesting picture of an early Transitional 'M-16' that claims to be from the Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch of 1920 and I was wondering if anyone had any more information or pictures regarding these early Freikorps Hakenkreuz painted Stahlhelms that may have been used by Marine-brigade Ehrhardt.

It claims to be an M-16 but I do not see the chinstrap lug rivets so I think it is an M-18.

Any information regarding these interesting early helmets is greatly appreciated!

(Source)
    File:Pre-Nazi Swastika. Stahlhelm M 1916 mit Hakenkreuzbemalung. Marinebrigade Ehrhardt. Luttwitz-Kapp-Putsch 1920. Deutsches Historisches Museum.jpg - Wikipedia

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch Hakenkreuzbemalung Stahlhelm
    P
    Many

Hi Moredcai,

I agree, does look to be an M18 and not an M16 judging by the photos, and likely a size 64 shell.

You do see a lot of these Hakenkreuz painted on helmets but without some firm provenance its very hard to see when or by whom they were painted, but having said that, its originality cannot be ruled out!

I would be interested to at least see some better images that may give an idea of how old the paint might be.

Also, I do have some reference materials and will have a look for some period images for you.

Andy

I tried searching for more pictures of this particular helmet but alas, I was not able to find anything.
    I remember reading somewhere that Hitler got his inspiration for his use of the Hakenkreuz from Early Freikorp soldiers.
    I'm sure Marine-Brigade Ehrhardt wasn't the only Freikorp army using the Hakenkreuz but I wonder if they were the ones that inspired Hitlers use of it?

Thank you again for any references and information!

?

Here you go I found this. It looks like they were indeed worn during the Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch of 1920

LINK: LeMO Weimarer Republik - Innenpolitik - Luttwitz-Kapp-Putsch 1920

It also evokes memories of the famous image of H.G. in 1923 sporting one

And the movies depicting H.G. wearing one during the Beer Hall Putsch of 1923

However images of the actual beer hall putsch of 1923 show the corpulent one not wearing a helmet, so poetic license for the movie depiction.

Regards, Al

Now that's some good provenance and a much better photo! Thanks Aldo!

I remember seeing that particular Goering photo in a book before I started collecting and thinking how iconic these WW1 steel helmets looked.

Andy

Thank you so much Aldo, I could not have asked for a better more informative response! The link is also very much appreciated.

I had completely forgotten of that old picture of Göring wearing a similar helmet.

These early transitional helmets used during a time of political instability are rather fascinating.

?

I just managed to win this helmet at auction and thought it would fit right into this thread. While these hand painted swastika helmets are subjective, I feel this one has the right look and patina. Now, when it was painted is anyone's guess but nonetheless I fell for the helmet and probably overpaid. I'll post a new thread with all the photo's when it arrives.

Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch Hakenkreuzbemalung StahlhelmLüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch Hakenkreuzbemalung Stahlhelm

Lüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch Hakenkreuzbemalung StahlhelmLüttwitz-Kapp-Putsch Hakenkreuzbemalung Stahlhelm

Regards, Al

Great helmet Aldo! Congratulations. I’m really looking forward to seeing the photos of this one. I agree with your observations regarding the look and patina. The original factory paint and swaz have the same patina to my eyes and I like the rust bleed coming through from underneath.

Andy

?

Thanks Andy I agree. Although impossible to prove something like this sometimes you just have to trust your eyes and your instinct.
    Regards, Al

Amazing helmet Aldo, great to have some good pictures of such a beautiful helmet, I love the thicker and more symetric hakenkreuz!
    I do most of my collecting in person and I've only been able to find an butchered M-17 which I restored but I hope to find an example such as this in this in the future as I love these transitional Freikorp types. I'll be keeping an eye out for your new thread on this helmet and thank you for posting it here!
    Last edited by Mordecai; 02-29-2024 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast