Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Klaas 1933 SS Dagger

Article about: Hi and thank you for adding me! My husband and were given this Dagger in the 80's or the 90's. It was in his Grandfather's garage for decades before that. I sent it out for an estimate and w

Default Klaas 1933 SS Dagger

Hi and thank you for adding me! My husband and were given this Dagger in the 80's or the 90's. It was in his Grandfather's garage for decades before that.

I sent it out for an estimate and was informed that it has the wrong scabbard and that it has been taken apart because the blade is backwards. I can't imagine how this happened because Grandpa wasn't the one who did this, that's for sure. I would say he got it in the 50's or 60's (just guessing) and he got it from a bet with a buddy from what we can recall of the story. I don't think he or the guy who gave it to him thought it had any real value. Just wondering why it would/could be taken apart or messed with in any way back then? Maybe this happened before it got to the states? I really want to know more for my own knowledge about it. I believe the estimate was a fair one. Oh, not sure if these pics show it, because a few are blurry but it has the numeral III on it as far as inspection numbering goes, so I guess (from my research anyway) it means it was inspected in Germany?

Klaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS DaggerKlaas 1933 SS Dagger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Klaas 1933 SS Dagger
    P
    Many

?

The blade is definitely the wrong way round.
    I'm sure the guys who know their stuff will be able to give you more information shortly.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Welcome ...it would benefit you to shorten your user name and makes it easier to login in quicker...just a thought. I will call you Belinda for now with the first 2 letters of your user name being BL

Some of your photos are very blurry and Muddy. I will not comment about the scabbard in your photo from what I can not see but I can say that for this producer Robert Klaas...a large majority of their daggers were black anodized and a less common are some that are painted.

It is true that at some point the dagger itself was taken apart and put back together backwards which is an easy fix by facing the blade motto on the same side as the Grip insignia and the lower crossguard that is marked with a Roman Numeral III ( Berlin distribution point ) has to face the reverse side of the grip.

The blade itself since this dagger has been opened once or a few times before can take a WD40 bath laying in a small flat container of it covering the whole blade for about 1 week should lift off must of that rust on the blade.
    Sadly that blade was poorly kept in a not so friendly environment causing that rust to grow.

So please if you want clearer answers on the type of scabbard that is hiding behind the blur ..please take better photos and post them again. Please

What estimate was given to you ?
    The details of this dagger are correct.

Regards Larry

PS ....if you want to do a name change let me know and I can make that for you.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry,
    Yes change the name. Under 2k was the estimate.

I'm embarrassed but I don't know what a scabbard is. But I am going to look that up now and post better pics. Thank you so much!

Here are a few more pics. I will take a few more in the daylight tomorrow.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Klaas 1933 SS Dagger   Klaas 1933 SS Dagger  

Klaas 1933 SS Dagger   Klaas 1933 SS Dagger  

Hello ....the scabbard is early and shows nickel scabbard fittings. This is correct for an Early SS dagger.
    the scabbard throat to lower guard fit is a little shy of being flush with each other...but will wait for photos tomorrow.
    Also missing is one screw on the upper fitting ..not to big of a deal.

Avoid direct sunlight ...overcast day is fine or sitting on a window sill is good as well.

Clean your camera lense too

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Oh.. Larry,
    The estimator said that it was the wrong scabbard, because it was painted and not anodized. I apologize for that error. Like I said, just learning about this stuff. And under 2k was what I would get from a reseller, not auction. So if you can keep that in mind and let me know if that is a fair offer (I thought it was, but really not sure because I see prices way up there for some of these).
    Thank you SO much!

I think its very fair estimate in its current untouched condition.

Restore the blade only in WD40 bath for a week ..and you will increase the value my guess by 1k more.
    Lets take one day at a time with no rush.
    The dagger has good potential and is very desirable among early SS dagger collectors

Regards Larry

beginner... many SS dagger scabbards were repainted black during the period because the blued (incorrectly but commonly called anodized) finish wore out. That does not mean it is the wrong scabbard. That tells me the "estimator" either doesn't know SS daggers, or intentionally tried to mislead you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast