Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm

Article about: Brush painted black M35 DD S² stahlhelm. I found it at an antique mall a couple hours away. I'm considering purchase, but want to conduct due diligence. I have some experience with good and

Default Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm

Brush painted black DD S² stahlhelm. I found it at an antique mall a couple hours away. I'm considering purchase, but want to conduct due diligence. I have some experience with good and bad German helmets, but this is beyond my ken. Their asking price is under $2,000. According to dealer, the helmet is from an estate clearing, they did, and the helmet was located under blankets / quilts in a closet. The family alleges that decedent purchased it in 1970s. I hope to go back for another look / better pics sometime this weekend.

Of Note: Interesting hand painted number "57" inside rear, like some of my units used to do w/ issued training equipment. The 7 has European slash through it, which is not clear in photo. I realize that SE didn't manufacture helmets for the SS. I also note that it looks like some rough patches under the top coat of paint.

Of course I want it to be authentic, but as my folks used to tell me: "Wish in one hand and $#!+ in the other, and let me know which hand fills up first".
    Therefore, I need advice from cooler and more knowledgeable heads.
    Opinions?

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm   Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm  

Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm   Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm  

Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm   Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Request for Opinions: Blackie SS DD Helm
    P
    Many

?

Looks like an M40 shell with reproduction liner and chin-strap, post-war paintjob and very poor fake decals.

My advice would be to leave it under the blankets in the closet and look somewhere else.

Cheers,
    Steve

MAP
    ?

Italian M33 liner and chin strap. As already said, postwar paint and fake decals

You should be able to see a perforated size stamped into the leather next to the chinstrap bale

Moved this thread to the SS helmets section of the forum
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Save yourself the trip Mitch. There really isn’t anything positive to say about this one unfortunately. SS Blackies in the form of M35 helmets are extremely rare and usually confined the very high end private collections. As a guide, a very well used combat M35 black SS helmet sold on SS Steel for $7000 USD with extremely poor decals. A better conditioned single decal M40 would go for prices in the region of $11-12,000USD. Be very wary of stories about the history of a helmet, because without provenance, it is simply that.

Below is a link to member Schwerpunkt’s authoritative website that shows some great examples of SS helmets: SS Helmets – German Helmet Vault

Good on you for posting it up here first Unfortunately, a lot of people won’t out of pride or misplaced confidence and it can end up being a very sobering and expansive lesson.

Andy

Thanks so much for your thoughtful response!

:0
    Too Funny! Message received, and thanks!