Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Arbeitsbuch

Article about: Hello folks. This is one I've had for a while, scrounged from eBay last summer. It appears in the background in photos of my collection, but I've never got round to photographing it individu

Default Arbeitsbuch

Hello folks.

This is one I've had for a while, scrounged from eBay last summer. It appears in the background in photos of my collection, but I've never got round to photographing it individually. Finally, I've done so.

Am not sure of this person's name. Two names appear on the first page. I note that they share the same surname. The owner appears to have been born on the 9th of December 1917, and was issued this document in Munich. They seem to have worked as a bookbinder at various establishments up to October (Roman numeral 10?) 1940. The rest of the book is blank. Perhaps they were called up for military service after this date? The bulk of the handwriting is a mystery to me, as ever. I am getting better at reading Sütterlin, but still have a heck of a long way to go.

A nice display piece that sits well with my collection of tinnies and other civil awards.

Regards, B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Arbeitsbuch   Arbeitsbuch  

Arbeitsbuch   Arbeitsbuch  

Arbeitsbuch  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Arbeitsbuch
    P
    Many

It's not two different people (an Arbeitsbuch was a personal document and could not be held by more than one person): The name is Johann Hüttl, and he has signed as "Hans Hüttl". Hans is just a short/colloquial/affectionate form of Johann. (In this case; Hans is also used as a proper first name in its own right.)

Hüttl - clearly an Ethnic German - was born in Tepl [Teplá] in Bohemia and held Czechoslovak citizenship. He underwent an apprenticeship as a bookbinder in Marienbad [Mariánské Lázně] from 20 Oct. 1931 to 20 Oct. 1934 and successfully passed his examination as a journeyman on 25 Oct. 1934.

No employment is recorded for the period after that from late 1934 until 28 January 1937, the day he briefly took up a job as a bookbinder, working for the master bookbinder Ernst Enzmann in Mies [Stříbro] until 30 April 1937.

Once again unemployed, he then moved to Germany and from 21 August 1937 to 6 October* 1940 worked as a bookbinder for a succession of three different employers in Munich.

*) That's the Roman numeral "X"; it was common to write the month in Roman numerals.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    It's not two different persons (an Arbeitsbuch was a personal document and could not be held by more than one person): The name is Johann Hüttl, and he has signed as Hans Hüttl. Hans is a short/colloquial/affectionate form of Johann. (In this case; Hans is also used as a proper first name in its own right.)

Hüttl - clearly an Ethnic German - was born in Tepl [Teplá] in Bohemia and held Czechoslovak citizenship. He underwent an apprenticeship as a bookbinder in Marienbad [Mariánské Lázně] from 20 Oct. 1931 to 20 Oct. 1934 and successfully his examination as a journeyman on 25 Oct. 1934.

No employment is recorded for the period after that from late 1934 until 28 January 1937, the day he briefly took up a job as a bookbinder, working for the master bookbinder Ernst Enzmann in Mies [Stříbro] until 30 April 1937. Once again unemployed, he then moved to Germany and from 21 August 1937 to 6 October 1940 worked as a bookbinder for a succession of three different employers in Munich .
    Your help is invaluable as always. Thank you!

B.B.