Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Battle Damage to Soldbuch?

Article about: My friends it is impossible to prove battle damage. I wouldnt buy on this representation alone. But I can say this as a country boy and I have alot of items lost to the ravenous rodent other

Default Battle Damage to Soldbuch?

I am buying this soldbuch grouping from a guy who lives in Leipzig Germany, that I know through forums, etc.

I have not done any research on this particular grouping yet. Rudolf Keller was wounded in February, 1945 (and got the BWB). The seller has not yet sent me a picture of page 12-13. So, I am not sure what wound he sustained.

I have a few questions though:

I am wondering if you guys think the damage to the book was from him being wounded. I cant think of anything else that would have cause this kind of damage, but maybe you guys have some ideas?

And, do any of you know what some of the extra documents are?

Sorry for the small pictures, I didnt take them. Click to enlarge

Thanks for the interest,
    Swayne Martin

Battle Damage to Soldbuch?Battle Damage to Soldbuch?Battle Damage to Soldbuch?Battle Damage to Soldbuch?Battle Damage to Soldbuch?Battle Damage to Soldbuch?Battle Damage to Soldbuch?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Battle Damage to Soldbuch?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Battle Damage to Soldbuch?

Hi Swayne, possibly shrapnel damage but as there is no blood damage it could equally be rodent damage?

The grey oil cloth document is a military driving licence (fuhrerschein). I have shown mine on the forum in the past.

Cheers, Ade.

That is also a posibility, but its not at all ironic that he was also wounded.

When I zoomed in close on the damage, I noticed that there were no little bite marks (like you might expect), just a jagged rip. Plus, there are fold marks coming directly from the damage.

Thanks,
    Swayne

I don't think it is battle bamage, but rodent damage. Like Ade said, it could be shrapnel damage, but there is no evidence of blood so I think that it would be highly unlikely.

I still don't understand how the rodent could have eaten through the two covers, all the pages, fuhrerschein, and out the back cover.... cleanly and uniformly

It could be battle damage. Here soldbuch that was sold with a "bullet hole"
    German WWII

no blood i can see

Just saying that maybe the soldaten didn't have soldbuch on him when shrapnel hit. But that is a Rare thing for soldaten not to have his buch with him

Yes, I understand this.

I am not quite sure what to think now. I was going to buy this grouping mainly because of the battle damaged soldbuch.

Swayne

?

hi swayne .to me this looks like impact damage ,rather than rodent bites . the fold marks you show look more like impact lines in the paper .its a pretty clean cut . used to own a WWI military bible that had a similar cut by shrapnel . i like it myself . its always going to be an opinion shot as with most things we can only guess as to there history...cheers Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast