Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Bezirk Bialystok personal ausweis 11.06.1943

Article about: issued to a woman born in 1891. well worn, but intact. there are two photos on this one. i don`t want to take off the 2nd one to check out the first picture, but perhaps i should? what is th

Default Bezirk Bialystok personal ausweis 11.06.1943

issued to a woman born in 1891. well worn, but intact. there are two photos on this one. i don`t want to take off the 2nd one to check out the first picture, but perhaps i should? what is the purpose of the numbers on the photo? was she a "forced worker?"
    Stig
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bezirk Bialystok personal ausweis 11.06.1943   Bezirk Bialystok personal ausweis 11.06.1943  

Bezirk Bialystok personal ausweis 11.06.1943  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bezirk Bialystok personal ausweis 11.06.1943
    P
    Many

I've never seen a second photo over another one on a document like this either. Very interesting piece. It's hard to say just what is beneath the photo, as it looks like there has been something removed which took considerable bits of paper with it. The swastika, for example, beneath the eagle is missing. The numbers on the photo look like those of a prisoner, though, to me. Was a tough looking old woman!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Looks like she was illiterate, she made her mark (two X's) rather than a signature!....

"Was a tough looking old woman!" yes, i wouldn`t mess with her : ) i was just curious about the adding of a second picture and two x`s as a signature. though i think the description illiterate may be right.
    thanks for your time, gentlemen : )
    Stig
    ps! i cannot express enough gratitude to ALL you who help me so i will instead donate to this forum once in a while. i have to be honest and say i have only done that one time, but that will change in the future!!!!!!!

There is a chance that the 2nd photo (the one on top) is a post-war addition. When you consider that after the war the administration of various places would of needed time to be established so while a new Polish ID card was produced and put in to circulation it is entirely possible that in the early days of post-war Poland they used what was already in existence and continued to use the ones issued by the Germans. Hence why the newer photo doesn't have an authorising German stamp.