Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question

Article about: Hey guys! (sorry for my bad english im german) My Great-Grandpa was a Wehrmacht soldier, killed in action in Russia. But the Wehrmacht didnt send the Erkennungsmarke or Personal Stuff to my

Default Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question

Hey guys! (sorry for my bad english im german)

My Great-Grandpa was a Wehrmacht soldier, killed in action in Russia.
    But the Wehrmacht didnt send the Erkennungsmarke or Personal Stuff to my Great-Grandma just the Wehrpass.
    But the writing in the Wehrpass is soooo bad i cant read it... i made a couple pics of it & maybe u can tell me where he was killed?

some infos:

1943: Gren.Ers.Batl.208/Stamm-Komp... stationed in Metz

1944: 4/Kampf..?..1006 (i made a circle on it)

4/3 1944: Gefallen in ..?.... Russland. / Killed in Action in ...?..., Russia

*...?... = i cant read it

if u need more infos ill give it to you. its a long story

Greeetz from germany David
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question   Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question  

Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question   Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Great-Grandpa Russland Feldzug Question

Hi David,

The unit appears to be Kampf-Bataillon 1006 (the bit you can't read is 'Batl.'), but the place name in Russia is indeed difficult- it looks like 'Onazkaozy' but I couldn't find such a place in a quick search (but then there are hundreds of thousands of small towns and villages in Russia).

There are few formal listings in the references for the Kampf-Bataillone as they seem to be late-war, less-formal units rather than formally organized ones like the regular Grenadier-Regimenter; in one case I found that a single Bataillon of a Grenadier-Regiment became a Kampf-Bataillon, so I suspect the same is the case here that your Grossopa's Reserve-Grenadier-Bataillon, or that troops were simply needed quickly so he was reassigned to this new one. Without proper reference material it is unfortunately impossible to say.

One thing you can do is go to the WASt, and see if they have his service record- my Dad got the records of his uncle and my Oma's cousin from them; one wasn't complete and they obviously don't have all the records that ever existed as a lot were lost in the war, but they may have something. There's a small fee, but the information can be interesting.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by Matt L View Post
    Hi David,

The unit appears to be Kampf-Bataillon 1006 (the bit you can't read is 'Batl.'), but the place name in Russia is indeed difficult- it looks like 'Onazkaozy' but I couldn't find such a place in a quick search (but then there are hundreds of thousands of small towns and villages in Russia).

There are few formal listings in the references for the Kampf-Bataillone as they seem to be late-war, less-formal units rather than formally organized ones like the regular Grenadier-Regimenter; in one case I found that a single Bataillon of a Grenadier-Regiment became a Kampf-Bataillon, so I suspect the same is the case here that your Grossopa's Reserve-Grenadier-Bataillon, or that troops were simply needed quickly so he was reassigned to this new one. Without proper reference material it is unfortunately impossible to say.

One thing you can do is go to the WASt, and see if they have his service record- my Dad got the records of his uncle and my Oma's cousin from them; one wasn't complete and they obviously don't have all the records that ever existed as a lot were lost in the war, but they may have something. There's a small fee, but the information can be interesting.

Thanks mate!

what is cool is what you have is a great piece of history & it is diectly connected to you, it doesn't get any better than that, now if I found out Rommel was my grandpa, I would have a heart attack.

haha lol

Hi, it would be better if this thread was moved to the Paperwork forum. You'll hopefully get more feedback on a wehrpass there, Cheers, Richard.

?

Good point it's on it's way !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Onazkaozy is surely not a Russian name, probably there written something wrong
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Quote by Dimas View Post
    Onazkaozy is surely not a Russian name, probably there written something wrong
    I read, this unit secured the railroad Lemberg - Odessa between Tarnopol and Konstantinow(ka).

Maybe the soldier was killed during the withdrawal somewhere in the west Ukraine ?
    There you can find a lot of polish toponym´s ...