Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker

Article about: A very powerful and eloquent document about war's reality and the history of Europe in its most fundamental sense.

Default Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker

Hi Chaps, I've been working on a 'write up' to the wehrpass below.

I don't think I've done too bad; but I'd be grateful if anybody could add any thing I've missed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wehrpass To Gefreiter Karl Max Junker.
    13./Grenadier Regiment 170.

Wehrpass issued on 24/06/1944 with non-uniform photo. Second replacement issue. His first Wehrpass was lost due to action on the Crimea (page 47).
    Entitled to: - Iron Cross 2nd Class and Kuban Shield both awarded posthumously. Promotions: - Obergrenadier on 01/03/1943 and Gefreiter on 01/03/1944.
    Trained On: - Light infantry gun as number three gunner on a 7.5 cm infantry gun.
    Karl was born on 21/03/1923 Worms, Hessen, Rhineland-Palatinate. His father, Maximillion??, was a transportation worker. Karl was unmarried and of Evangelical faith. In civilian life he was a stoker by trade.
    Called up on 05/10/1942 he was assigned immediately to 12./Gren.Aus.Rgt.615, part of 381.Feldausbildungs-Div. based in Southern Russia.
    These units received their training at the front. It was a training division for Army Group 'A' and at that time was fighting in the Caucasus.
    24/01/1943 he was sent to 13./Gren.Rgt.170 of 73.Inf.Div. Junker's company was the infantry gun company of this regiment.
    The 73rd Inf. Div. was situated at Novorossivsk as part of the defence of the Kuban bridgehead.
    Shortly after Junker arrived, Novorossivsk was the site of a major Soviet amphibious landing on the 04/02/1943. The Soviets were able to form a small bridgehead. This became the site of seven months of bloody fighting, and casualties amongst 73rd Div. were heavy.
    On 20/03/1943 Junker was ill (spotted fever) and evacuated to a hospital in Kerch.
    On 01/08/1943 he went to a replacement unit.
    On 12/01/1944 he re-joined his former unit, now situated on the Crimea. The Crimea was cut off from land contact with the rest of the Eastern Front since Oct. 1943 and was being supplied by sea from Romania.
    The 73rd Div. took up positions on the Kerch Peninsula were the Soviets had established a bridgehead in Nov. 1943.
    The Soviets, getting wind of German plans to evacuate the peninsula launched an offensive to destroy 17th Armee and the German/Romanian defences were breached.
    Withdrawal was ordered; but with heavy losses. The 73rd Inf. Div. lost 79% of its strength, by the 17th of April when they arrived in Sevastopol.
    The Soviets sealed the perimeter and began to launch attacks from 27th April onwards in preparation for their major assault.
    During these preliminary attacks Junker was killed in action on 30/04/1944, 18 kilometres south east of Sevastopol.

From German War Graves Records.

In Memory of Karl Junker.

Karl Junker has not yet been transferred to a military cemetery built by the People's League.
    According to the information available to us his grave is still at the following location: Bunker Hill - Ukraine
    The People's Alliance is trying to find a basis of war graves agreement the graves of German soldiers and give them to secure permanent resting places. We hope to find in the not too distant future, the grave of Karl Junker and transfer the remains to a military cemetery to.

Name: Junker
    First name: Karl
    Date of Birth: 21/03/1923
    Place of Death: Bunker Hill 20 km South East of Sevastopol.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker   Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker  

Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker   Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker  

Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker   Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker  

Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker
    P
    Many

Default Re: Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junker

nothing to add per se, but this is a very interesting WP to me being issued after death and carrying in the place of a signature, a notation to see information about his death on "page 34".

the photo must have been pulled from a file or perhaps duplicates of original photos were always maintained for this purpose. the photo taken from records, the information entered into the WP all taken from records... and all done after death.

Sorry for my english/american. i come from Germany.
    This WP is an second font
    he was in use in krim in Ukraine . and he got the kubanschild
    his birthplace is in Worms ( district Hessen ). It is 200 km away from my home in Bonn. What has set for a stretch of the pass back. wow

best regards Mike

yes, and on page 47 it is explained why the second WP was issued.

i can not read the last word. it says that the second WP was issued because the first WP was (can not read word) during deployment in Krim in the Ukraine. maybe "lost" or "destroyed".

Can you read that last word, Mike?

verlorenging.

Is that as in I LOST my wallet or he was LOST in the battle. Is it actually one word, verlorenging or two words, verloren ging? It seems to me it should be two words, but either way something or someone was lost. Dwight

Wehrpass Zweitschrift wurde ausgestellt, da Urschrift beim Einsatz auf der Krim verlorenging.

thus translated freely,

second Wehrpass issued, since the original was lost in action in the Crimea.

The entries on p.34 make plain that he died in action in June 1944 in Crimea.

Very good to see you, Sir.

"verlorenging" .... "went missing", as it were!

Thank you!

it's one word. Both may be acceptable but i'm not sure. perhaps someone who speaks German a lot better than i can tell us this. i don't encounter it often and i think i have always seen it as one word, a verb that is seperable. The infinitive is Verlorengehen. "Verlorenging" is the Simple Past Tense.

also, the verb definitely refers back to the object "Urschrift". so the loss of the "original document (WP)" is being referenced.

Quote by drmessimer View Post
    Is that as in I LOST my wallet or he was LOST in the battle. Is it actually one word, verlorenging or two words, verloren ging? It seems to me it should be two words, but either way something or someone was lost. Dwight

Help needed with translation of wehrpass to karl junkerVerlorengehen is a separable verb, of course.

Urschrift can be translated as original document.

Translation is an art.

dict.cc translated verlorengehen as "to be lost" or "to get lost."

My friends in Berlin use either Leo or dict.cc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast