Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with unit stamp on Winterschlacht im Osten award document

Article about: Hello, could anyone help me with the unit stamp please? It comes from an Eastern Front Medal award document. As often in such cases, the document does not state the recipient's unit. To me i

?

Default Help with unit stamp on Winterschlacht im Osten award document

Hello,
    could anyone help me with the unit stamp please? It comes from a late Eastern Front Medal award document. As often in such cases, the document does not state the recipient's unit.

To me it looks like "Inf. Div. ??? Abt. 245" but it just a wild guess, so I hope that maybe someone more experienced could tell me more about the unit. I know that neither the stamp nor the picture are very sharp, but is all what the seller provides in the auction.

There is also one possibly important clue: Some time ago I purchased (from the same source) another document belonging to the same soldier which reveals his previous unit: Radfahr-Abteilung 45 of the 45. Inf. Division. Maybe the information could shade some light on the mystery.

Anyway, I would be much obliged for your thoughts and opinions. Thank you!
    Best regards
    Pavel

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Help with unit stamp on Winterschlacht im Osten award document
    P
    Many

Quote by Pavel View Post
    To me it looks like "Inf. Div. ??? Abt. 245"
    Looks that way to me as well, but for the life of me I can't read the missing bit, either.

Judging from the legible parts and the known divisional units of the 245. Infanterie-Division, the only plausible possibility I can come with is the Infanterie-Divisions-Nachrichten-Abteilung 245 [Infantry Division Signals Detachment 245].

Divisionseinheiten der 245

?

Thank you, HPL2008. I much appreciate your help! Nachrichten-Abteilung seems to be indeed a very plausible option. It is a pity that there is no list of the detachment commanders; major "Freiberg" would be a good lead for further confirmation. But when it comes to the soldier’s fate, the division fully suffices. The 245. Infanterie-Division would be a much preferable fate than to remain with the unlucky original 45. Infanterie-Division on the Eastern Front and to perish in the Bobruysk-Pocket.

One more thing I can’t figure out is the late date issue of the Eastern Front Medal award document. The only one similar example from 1944 I have come across so far was a posthumous award but it was issued by a much higher authority (stellvertrendes Generalkommando and it was given to the widow as commemorative piece). Is there any logical explanation for such a late award?

Quote by Pavel View Post
    Is there any logical explanation for such a late award?
    We'll never know what delayed the award proceedings for so long.

Maybe he was not originally submitted for the medal due to some error, maybe the paperwork was lost and found (or not found and had to be resubmitted), maybe his transfer to another unit caused an administrative problem...

A million things could have gone wrong and caused delays.

?

That is true, bureaucracy and war don't go well together. Maybe there will be more paperwork to this soldier, shading some light on his fate. Thank you, I really appreciate your help!

Hello,
    Major Becker from Kampfgruppe Becker who belonged to Panzergrenadierregiment 2111 (Panzerbrigade 111) during the Lorraine battle (Sept 1944) was awarded the wounded badge in gold three days after the end of the war...
    Thanks

The sacrifice of life is a huge sacrifice, there is only one that is more terrible, the sacrifice of honor

In Memoriam :
    Laurent Huart (1964-2008)

I'm sure I've got a '44 dated Ost doc somewhere. Nothing to worry about, as the folks have said it did happen. Stewy