Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

KIA in Russia wehrpass

Article about: Hi all, I won this wehrpass a little while back, it is from a soldier killed in Russia in October 1942 The best? ( sorry ) part is the neat handwriting the commanding officer had so it is ea

Default KIA in Russia wehrpass

Hi all,

I won this wehrpass a little while back, it is from a soldier killed in Russia in October 1942
    The best? ( sorry ) part is the neat handwriting the commanding officer had so it is easy to decipher that Obergefreiter Vogel sustained a fatal head wound working for the signal corps attached to the 6th Army in the retreat from Moscow. He was ( is ) buried in the ‘heroes cemetery” 17km WSW of the Russian town of Staraya – this is as I read it, please correct for me if I have it all wrong!

Thadaus Vogel was in the RAD before the war, and in 1940 participated in the battle for France and was promoted twice in 1940. He won a KVK2 in Feb 1942 and the ostmedal in July of that year. He was just 26 when he died.

The nice surprise was the feldpost stub showing ( I think ) when the wehrpass was mailed back ( to wherever they were kept after a man was killed )

If anyone can add more, please do, I find it amazing a signalman could advance so far, so quickly.

RIP Thadaus!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KIA in Russia wehrpass   KIA in Russia wehrpass  

KIA in Russia wehrpass   KIA in Russia wehrpass  

KIA in Russia wehrpass   KIA in Russia wehrpass  

KIA in Russia wehrpass  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KIA in Russia wehrpass
    P
    Many

Default Re: KIA in Russia wehrpass

This is nice!! Compared to collectibles with no identity,,at least some of them,, ID books put the owner in front of the line when knowing their exact whereabouts during the war. Nice!! Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

That is a nice piece. Congrats

Thanks for sharing

Thanks Larry, I have been trying to find one that had a bit of "action" to it and it looks like I have found it!
    Army gruppe North in Autumn 1942 was trying still to hold the line and break through to the entrapped Demyansk pocket ( while Army gruppe south was pushing to the Volga ) so that too puts Obergefreiter Vogel in the thick of the Russian front coming into another winter ......

Dan

Here is his entry in the Volksbund database showing where he is buried now...

KIA in Russia wehrpass

?

Initially he saw action during the advance of Army Group Centre into Russia , Bialystock , Minsk , Slonim, across the River Beresina , then the Stalin Line and Smolensk followed by later combat in the Bryansk Sud Kessel and Wyasma !! Luckily in November he was sent to France and missed the winter of 1941/42 in Russia. He returned to the Front in Feb 1942 as part of the 5 Jager Division , 16th Armee and was hit in the head South of Lake Ilmen , dying at Alexino and bering buried there 17km wsw of Staraya Russa , a very nice combat Wehrpass Dan !!

Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Lexikon der Wehrmacht - 5. Jger-Division
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

THANKYOU Hucks216 and PaulE, you guys know your stuff!!!!! ( I have read your comments on other documents and was hoping to hear from you )
    This looks like being one of my better scores ........

Dan

Also just wondering if anyone can decipher the 1939 entries in the Wehrpass please?

Thanks, Dan

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Also just wondering if anyone can decipher the 1939 entries in the Wehrpass please?

Thanks, Dan
    Time to *BUMP* and ask again ( I should say PLEASE in capitals this time )
    Dan

They look something like -
    vom 3.9.1939 bis 9.10.1939 Abwehrschaft am der Ober[..]heimfront (not 100% on the last part of the first word or the complete last word).
    vom 10.10.1939 bis 1.11.1939 Einsatz im ??????? Operationsgeb[iet] H.Gru Kdo C
    vom 2.11.1939 bis 9.5.1940 Verwendung im Operationsgebiet der Westfront.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast