Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive

Article about: KIA Wehrpass of a 23 year old Obergefreiter who was killed during the Kursk counteroffensive towards Orel in 1943. ——————————————————- Johann started out in training units and eventually was

?

Default KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive

KIA Wehrpass of a 23 year old Obergefreiter who was killed during the Kursk counteroffensive towards Orel in 1943.
    ——————————————————-
    Johann started out in training units and eventually was placed with motorized infantry Regiment 125 that was sent to the Bulgarian/Greek birder in 1941. His unit took the vital bridgehead across the border and was tasked with taking the most fortified position in Thessaloniki called Fort Roupel. The Greek soldiers he fought against on the Metaxas line were honorable and hard fighters. They were adamant about holding their bunker position against great odds. They shot him in the upper thigh during a frontal assault on the bunker on the third day,, taking him out of action. He was awarded the Wound badge in black for this.
    ———————————————————
    After recovering in the hospital, he was reassigned to another reserve unit where he trained on the Panzerbuchse 39 anti tank rifle, and sent to the eastern front with another motorized Grenadier regiment 118!stationed in the Rzhev meat grinder with heeresgruppe Mitte. He was awarded the Infantry assault badge in Bronze there and 2 weeks later was awarded the iron cross 2nd class for his actions in the Rzhev battles. The division took heavy casualties.

———————————————————
    Johann would soon find himself with the 9th Armee defending the lines near Orel while the battle of Kursk raged on. The Soviets counterattacked from Kursk in Operation Kutsokov, aiming right towards Johanns unit who were dug into a trench line on the defensive. His company was overrun by Soviet tanks and infantry during multiple attacks that would last almost all day, where Johann and many others from his unit would be wiped out.
    I found a grouping and letter sent to his company commander’s wife, who was also killed along with Johann on this day, explaining the hopeless situation that they were in when they were all killed, while trying to hold the flank of the trench. A very sad wehrpass of a unit who was overrun by a superior force after surviving the hell of the Rzhev meat grinder.

- - ------- - -

Not sure why the pics came out sideways and out of order. I posted correctly (so I thought)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive   KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive  

KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive   KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive  

KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive   KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive  

KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement KIA Wehrpass of a Grenadier who fought on Metaxas line and Kursk counteroffensive
    P
    Many

The man faced tough times! This is a really nice Wehrpas! You have a real ��

?

Thank you man! Yeah this young man went through the thick of it. I see that you are from RVA as well....very cool.

MAP
    ?

Very nice Bill!

As for the photo. Are you uploading from a phone? An iPhone? If so, download to a PC, then edit it (something minor, like a small crop), and then upload. Usually does the trick.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Yup sure am. And ohhh ok Thanks for the tips....will do that

?

Obergefreiter Hans Beckenbach of 11. Kompanie / Grenadier Regiment 118.

Name: Hans Beckenbach
    Date of birth: 24.9.1921
    Place of birth: Wiesenbach
    Death/missing date: 14.7.1943
    Death/missing place: 2.5km ostwestl. Sheljabug an der Straße Sheljabug-Panikowez

Yet to be transferred by the Volksbund to another cemetery.