Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Kriegsurlaubsschein & Sonderausweis

Article about: Two documents I'd like to share and also have some questions. First the urlaubsschein. On one side ther is writting that I can't read and there is a stamp on the top right. All I can make ou

Default Kriegsurlaubsschein & Sonderausweis

Two documents I'd like to share and also have some questions.
    First the urlaubsschein. On one side ther is writting that I can't read and there is a stamp on the top right. All I can make out is Unteroffizier ........ Gebirgsjager.
    Why would there be a Gebirgsjager stamp? The soldat going on urlaub was not a Gebirgsjager. On the other side note the writting along the edge. I believe this means that while on vacation he has to make himself available to Luftschutz duty.

Next is a Sonderausweis. First I'm not sure what this was used for and I can't read were the destination (nach) or the reason (Grund).
    I'll appreciate any help I can get, Rudy.
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Kriegsurlaubsschein & Sonderausweis
    P
    Many

Default Re: Kriegsurlaubsschein & Sonderausweis

Cool documents Rudy wish I could help.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks Eric ... the stuff is even cooler when you know all about it. I'm sure someone here will help.

Rudy
    "It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity & make it work for you."
    Frank Zappa

Quote by Rudolf Karl View Post
    First the urlaubsschein. On one side ther is writting that I can't read and there is a stamp on the top right. All I can make out is Unteroffizier ........ Gebirgsjager.
    The handwriting says: "Urlaubermarken für 12. u. 13.10.43 ausgegeben." roughly meaning "stamps/tokens for personnel on leave handed out for 12 and 13 October 43", followed by a signature.

The stamp says: "Oberzah[...] [probably "Oberzahlmeister", i.e. a Senior Paymaster] / Unteroffizierschule für Gebirgsjäger [NCO Training School for Mountain Infantry] / [...]"

On the other side note the writting along the edge. I believe this means that while on vacation he has to make himself available to Luftschutz duty.
    Yes; that's correct.

Next is a Sonderausweis. First I'm not sure what this was used for and I can't read were the destination (nach) or the reason (Grund).
    The destinations are Laibach, then one that I'm not sure about and then Meja. Laibach is the German name for Ljubljana in Slovenia. Meja is also in Slovenia, located some 20 kilometers from Ljubljana.

The reason for the trip is "Mannschafts- und Munitionstransport, Benzintransport", meaning "Personnel- and ammunition transport, gasoline transport"

Thank you HPL and MOST of it makes some sense to me.

Seeing as the stamp came from a Mountain Infantry Training School would that mean he was attending the school at the time or attached to it somehow?

On the Sonderausweis I see he left and returned that same day. Can I assume he was either delivering or picking up ammunition or gasoline?
    I did not include the back side because nothing was entered. Looks like someone took a ruler and but a large X over the page.
    So A Sonderausweis is a document that would be used while traveling in the line of duty only.

Mant thanks again, Rudy
    Frank Zappa

Seeing as the stamp came from a Mountain Infantry Training School would that mean he was attending the school at the time or attached to it somehow?
    Sorry, but I cannot tell.

By the way, that school was located at Wörgl in Tyrol, with a satellite facility in Türmitz/Trmice in Bohemia.

On the Sonderausweis I see he left and returned that same day. Can I assume he was either delivering or picking up ammunition or gasoline?
    His assignment for the day had to do with the transportation of personnel, ammunition and gasoline; but that is all that can be told from the document. It does not specify whether this run was a pickup, a delivery or any combination thereof. (For example, maybe he transported gasoline to Ljubljana where he picked up ammunition to be taken to Meja where took on passengers for the return trip... Or vice versa... You get the picture.)

So A Sonderausweis is a document that would be used while traveling in the line of duty only.
    Right; it says so in the header: "Gültig nur bei Dienstreisen" [= Only valid for official trips]

What would we do without our friend(Andreas) your a great help here.
    Very interesting Rudy I like them.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Exactly what I was thinking What would we do without our friend(Andreas) your a great help here.

I had thought that my Grandfathers trail had gone cold but now I find him in different places with different "jobs & units".
    So the exciting thing for me is that the search goes on. I plan on getting a map (not the real thing at first) and start tracking down the places with dates he's been.

So far could not have happened with out the help of this man.

My hat is off to you sir.
    Rudolf Karl
    Frank Zappa