Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Late War Wehrpaß with Paperwork

Article about: Hello folks. Got this little grouping from eBay of all places. All things considered, it was a nice little bargain. I'd imagine something like this would cost a fair bit more if I'd bought i

Default Late War Wehrpaß with Paperwork

Hello folks.

Got this little grouping from eBay of all places. All things considered, it was a nice little bargain. I'd imagine something like this would cost a fair bit more if I'd bought it from a dealer.
    It consists of three pieces of paperwork: The soldier's Wehrpaß, some kind of medical ID and his discharge certificate. They all belonged to the same man; one Lorenz Wagner. This is what I've been able to discern on my own...

He was born on the 5th of November 1903, and was a natural-born German citizen. As of the date this Wehrpaß was issued, both of his parents were still alive. Going on their surnames, it's also possible that they were not married. Mustered on the 27th of August, 1940. Received training in the use of a ??? Gewehr. I cannot make out what the first word is, due to my poor grasp of period handwriting.
    He was discharged on the 19th of June 1945, and so he survived the war in Europe.
    Some very interesting things to note with this one. Firstly, the Wehrpaß has been meticulously denazified, with the swastika on the cover and on any internal stamps inked out. This, coupled with the dual English/German discharge certificate, would lead me to believe that Lorenz ended up in the hands of Allied troops. The second is the medical ID. I have never seen another like this, although I am confident it is genuine. All the information on it matches up with the Wehrpaß and discharge certificate, with no discrepancies that I can see.

EDIT: Have just noticed the ink stamp on the discharge certificate. Seems Lorenz ended up with the American VI Corps before he was formally discharged.

The Wehrpaß:

Late War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with Paperwork

The certificate and medical ID:

Late War Wehrpaß with PaperworkLate War Wehrpaß with Paperwork

Any additional information to fill in the blanks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

Regards, B.B.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late War Wehrpaß with Paperwork
    P
    Many

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    He was born on the 5th of November 1903, and was a natural-born German citizen. As of the date this Wehrpaß was issued, both of his parents were still alive. Going on their surnames, it's also possible that they were not married.
    They were. "Geburtsname" = "maiden name".

Received training in the use of a ??? Gewehr. I cannot make out what the first word is, due to my poor grasp of period handwriting.
    It's "tschech." ["tschechisches"] = Czech.

The second is the medical ID.
    That's the ID carried by medical personnel certifying their entitlement to wear a Red Cross armband and their being under the protection of the statutes of the Geneva Convention.

Any additional information to fill in the blanks would be greatly appreciated.
    Lorenz Wagner was born in Munich on 5 Nov. 1903 as the son of the butcher Lorenz Wagner and his wife Maria.

He was originally of Catholic faith - like the majority of Bavarians - but later left the Church. A married man and a father of four, Wagner was trained as a shoemaker and worked as a Sattler (which can be a saddler, upholsterer or leatherworker).

He had his draft board examination in Mainz on 27 Aug. 1940, was found to be fully fit for military duty and placed into the replacement reserves. He was called up for active duty on 27 July 1943. Wagner was still found to be fully fit for active military duty in subsequent medical examinations on 29 July 1943 and 26 December 1944.

Lorenz Wagner served with various units and survived the war. He was discharged on 19 June 1945.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    They were. "Geburtsname" = "maiden name".

It's "tschech." ["tschechisches"] = Czech.

That's the ID carried by medical personnel certifying their entitlement to wear a Red Cross armband and their being under the protection of the statutes of the Geneva Convention.

Lorenz Wagner was born in Munich on 5 Nov. 1903 as the son of the butcher Lorenz Wagner and his wife Maria.

He was originally of Catholic faith - like the majority of Bavarians - but later left the Church. A married man and a father of four, Wagner was trained as a shoemaker and worked as a Sattler (which can be a saddler, upholsterer or leatherworker).

He had his draft board examination in Mainz on 27 Aug. 1940, was found to be fully fit for military duty and placed into the replacement reserves. He was called up for active duty on 27 July 1943. Wagner was still found to be fully fit for active military duty in subsequent medical examinations on 29 July 1943 and 26 December 1944.

Lorenz Wagner served with various units and survived the war. He was discharged on 19 June 1945.
    Insightful as always, thank you for the help!

B.B.

HPL beat me to it but yes he was issued a Czech made Vz. 24, a Czech made derivative of the Mauser k98.