Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Luftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK award

Article about: Further to my other post on the KvK, here is the Dienstbuch. My command of German is quite poor so any help would be appreciated. Anything interesting in this book? Looks like he served from

MAP
    ?

Default Luftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK award

Further to my other post on the KvK, here is the Dienstbuch.

My command of German is quite poor so any help would be appreciated. Anything interesting in this book?

Looks like he served from 41 thru 44 in Hannover. I know that on Wehrpass' the X usually means KIA. But not sure here. Was he LS-Polizei or just Luftschutze? Or is there no difference?

Issued to Alfred Steike. Born March 3, 1904

Here is a link to the KvK award issued to the same person

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/krieg...0/#post1346409

Thanks and Regards,

Michael

Luftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK awardLuftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK award
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftschutz Dienstbuch and KvK award
    P
    Many

He was first a member of the SHD [Sicherheits- und Hilfsdienst, i.e. Security- and Aid Service] and later of the LSP [Luftschutzpolizei, i.e. Air Raid Protection Police].

Raised in 1937, the SHD was an air defense organisation under the control of the Reichsluftfahrtministerium [National Air Ministry] and the sister organisation of the LSW. (Note that the service book is for use by the SHD and the LSW.)

In 1942, the SHD was disbanded and its components split up: The SHD's motorized/mobile units [motorisierte SHD-Abteilungen] were absorbed by the Luftwaffe, while the stationary units [ortsfester SHD I. Ordnung] became the newly-established LSP.

Our man belonged to the latter group. Note that the early entries all use SHD- rank and -unit designations, while the later ones are all from the LSP.

MAP
    ?

Andreas,

As with my other post. Thank you very much. A nice educational experience for me today.

Michael

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I was about to call it a day yesterday when I made my last post.

Back now with more details on what the service book tells us:

Alfred Steike was born on 3 March 1904 at Hannover as the son of Karl and Lina Steike.

Of Protestant faith, he was married to Gertrud Steike, with whom he lived at the Steigenthalstr. 6 in Hannover.

He was a Kaufmann by civilian trade. (The literal meaning is "merchant" or "trader", but in most cases it refers to an employee in some mercantile business.)

On 20 Sept. 1938, Mr. Steike had a medical exam where he was found fit for air raid protection duty. He was called up for active duty with the SHD with the basic-level rank of SHD-Mann on 8 November 1940 and took his official oath on 2 July 1941.

Steike served with the 1st platoon of the Hannover's Instandsetzungsbereitschaft II (slightly re-designated as the 2. Instandsetzungsbereitschaft after its transfer from the SHD to the LSP) from 11 Nov. 1940 to 15 August 1944. ("Instandsetzung" means "repair", "Bereitschaft" roughly translates as "readiness unit".)

During this time, he was on leave for periods of more than 5 days' duration on several occasions. (Particulars are listed on pages 27 to 29.)

He was in action during a number of air raids against Hannover during the years of 1941, 1942, 1943 and 1944. (Particulars are listed on page 23.)

His service was rewarded with the War Merit Cross with Swords on 1 November 1943. (The swords class of this decoration was awarded for merit in military warfare or for merit rendered while under the effects of enemy weapons. Rescue service personnel working under air raid conditions qualified for the latter category.)

From 13 April to 9 May 42, he attended the second SHD training course at Hannover.

From 31 January to 26 February 1944, Steike attended a training course for LSP candidates, which was immediately followed by an Instandsetzungsdienst training course from 27 February 1944 to 25 May 1944.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Looks like he served from 41 thru 44 in Hannover. I know that on Wehrpass' the X usually means KIA.
    In this case, it simply means the ID document was cancelled. The handwritten text that goes with it says...:

"Ungültig durch Neuausstellung eines SS-Soldbuchs.", i.e. "Void due to new issuance of an SS paybook"

...Clearly having to do with his new status as a Rottwachtmeister der Gendarmerie der Reserve which is also added in handwriting.

nice find.

MAP
    ?

Andreas,

A wonderful Christmas present. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

Merry Christmas!!

Michael