Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Nationality Ausweis for Inland ?

Article about: Bought a mixed paper convolute at the flea-market last weekend. One piece part of a small convolute is a nationality pass for use only in inland. I must admit I've never seen a pass like thi

?

Default Nationality Ausweis for Inland ?

Bought a mixed paper convolute at the flea-market last weekend. One piece part of a small convolute is a nationality pass for use only in inland. I must admit I've never seen a pass like this, I think it may be civil, I wonder do members have any information over this particular type of pass.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nationality Ausweis for Inland  ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nationality Ausweis for Inland  ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Nationality Ausweis for Inland ?

A Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis is an official certificate of the holder's German citizenship. This kind of document is not unique to the Third Reich era; it had been in existence since Imperial German times and is still used today.

(See here for the German-language Wikipedia article including an image of the - very similiar - present-day version: Staatsangehörigkeitsausweis )

These documents were/are only issued by the authorities upon request and have to be paid for by the applicant.

Under current German regulations, they are needed whenever German citizenship is required by law for certain legal consequences to become effective. This includes appointment as an official, approbation as a physician, adoption of foreign children who are to gain German citizenship, waiving of the foreign citizenship by holders of dual citizenship etc. etc.

I am not familiar with the Third Reich's laws and regulations concerning these documents, but it is safe to assume that the purposes were much the same.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 05-28-2012 at 05:10 PM.

?

Default Re: Nationality Ausweis for Inland ?

HLP2008,
    Thanks for your comprehensive post. I was wondering why he would need a one page ausweis, as I've a Gebirgsjäger citation of his which pre-dates the ausweis so he must have had a Wehrpass stating his German nationality. Also being born in Kempten thought perhaps his parents were foreign, Austria or maybe Swiss he may have needed this extra pass. Everything is clear to me now. Thanks for the help.
    Best Wishes