Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.

Article about: Hi Chaps, I'm trying to "write up" a Soldbuch to a Philipp Berwind II that I've had for a while. I'm struggling a bit as there's not much to go on. Here's my progress so far : - So

Default Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.

Hi Chaps, I'm trying to "write up" a Soldbuch to a Philipp Berwind II that I've had for a while. I'm struggling a bit as there's not much to go on. Here's my progress so far : -

Kraft. Ers. Abt. 12.

Born on 31/01/1896 in Albig, Rhineland.
    The soldbuch was issued to Philipp on 26/08/1939 then with Nacht.???? Komp. 36. He soon moved to Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 12 in Bensheim (see below). It looks like Philipp served only as a driver with a transport unit for a short time as the latest dated entry in the Soldbuch is 20/10/1939. There is no mention of Philipp in the Volksbund database.
    The Soldbuch photo shows Philipp in a RAD uniform & in the back of the book is a group photo (possibly RAD).

Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 12.
    Kraftfahr-Ausbildungs-Abteilung 12.
    Kraftfahr-Ersatz- und Ausbildungs-Abteilung 12.

The unit was situated, on 26 August 1939, in Lachen-Speyerdorf, Wehrkreis XII, Military District XII. The department was set up by Teile der Kraftfahr-Abteilung 12 at its dissolution, and was under the 172nd Division. On 6th November 1939 was transferred to the department in the Korotschin Warthegau, Military District XXI. On 16 August 1940 it was transferred back to the Department of Bensheim in the Military District XII. On 1st January 1941, the 3rd, 5th and 6th Komp. moved to Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 36. On 16th July 1941 it was transferred to Kaiserslautern, the department of Military District XII. On 1st October 1942 divided the department into a respective Kraftfahr-Ersatz-Abteilung 12 and a Kraftfahr-Ausbildungs-Abteilung 12. Both units were on 1st April 1943 as Motor Vehicles, Spare Parts and Training Department 12 in Kaiserslautern.

A couple questions: -

1. Does anybody know the history of Nacht.???? Komp. 36?

2. Why such a short service?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Richard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.   Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.  

Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.   Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.  

Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.   Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soldbuch To Fahrer Philipp Berwind II.

Hi Richard, what kind of troubles me is the use of the security photo in the front of the book: this did not come into use until 1943?

Cheers, Ade.

I'm in agreement with Adrian - there are a few red flags. Firstly, for a soldbuch issued in 1939 it looks in extremely good condition, as if it never sat in someones pocket. Secondly, if you look closely at the photo, there is the top half of the man's signature. It is as if the man in the photo signed the photo but also made sure the signature went onto the piece of paperwork that it was originally attached to, and now it has been attached here the lower portion is missing. Not only that but the remains of the signature on the photo look totaly different to the mans supposed signature on Pg 3 (above the issuing unit entry)
    And judging by his date of birth, he would of been 47 when photos were entered into soldbuchs - the man in the photo doesn't look 47 to me.

Agreed the photo in the pass looks OD for the reasons mentioned above. Guess the pass Photo does not match with any man in the Group photo (?)

Allow me to add another point to ponder: The Soldbuch gives the hair color as "blond", while the man in the photograph is clearly not.
    Anyway, just for the sake of completeness: The company designation on pg. 2 is "Nachschubkompanie 36" [Supply Company 36].

Hi Chaps, thanks for the feedback. I see what you all mean about the photo & I agree. I think someone has added it to jazz up a quite boring Soldbuch. Looking closely at the stamp it doesn't look right either. As Ade said, why is there a photo in a pass that wasn't used after 20/10/1939. Hence the reason why it's so clean being only used for a few months, Cheers, Richard.

Hi Chaps, you were right about the photo. Just steamed it off & the chaps name is Otto something on the back!!!

I hope that you will be able to get your money back ok. It is all part of the learning curve unfortuantely and happens to pretty much everyone who collects at some point or another.

Hi Hucks216, no chance of my money back as I bought it years ago; but on the up side it was very cheap, Cheers, Richard.