Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau

Article about: This is one of those soldbuch that makes you think. I picked it up quite a few years ago in France and thought then that this chap was a bit of a monster. D.

Default Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau

This is one of those soldbuch that makes you think. I picked it up quite a few years ago in France and thought then that this chap was a bit of a monster.
    D.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau   Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau  

Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau   Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau  

Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau   Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau  

Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Soldbuch for a soldier who was in Dachau

Interesting one Damien , not sure bearing in mind the units he had previously served with why he would have transfered into the SS and to SS TK Stuba Dachau ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I have no idea either but it looks to be totally ok to me, it does not feel or look messed around with.
    D.

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Interesting one Damien , not sure bearing in mind the units he had previously served with why he would have transfered into the SS and to SS TK Stuba Dachau ?
    At that point of the war, this was not uncommon at all. 1944 saw the transfer of some 10,000 Heer soldiers into the SS' concentration camp guard formations.

The primary reason for this mass transfer was to provide guard personnel for the rapidly expanding camp system (especially the massive slave labor employment in armament production efforts such as the subterranean missile- and fighter craft production facilities). It also freed up younger, able-bodied SS men for active field service.

The army men selected for this transfer were usually at least 40 years of age and not fully fit for field service.

The man in question here fits these criteria perfectly: Assigned to a Wehrmacht replacement unit at the time of his transfer to the SS, he was 43 years of age, and the above certificate by an SS medical officer attests that he suffered from a visual impairment and beginning night blindness.

Allow me one observation:

We have no way of knowing what he thought of his - very likely entirely unvoluntary and unrequested - late-war transfer to the SS and how he behaved at Dachau. Maybe he had a good time, maybe he hated every minute and loathed himself.

Believe me, I have absolutely no intention whatsoever to whitewash concentration camp personnel; all I am saying is we should not automatically presume him to have been a monster.

?

Excellent Andreas many thanks for this very informative post
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Andreas,
    I take your point...but i guess my immediate re-action would have been the same as many others. It would have been a really brave man to refuse to do his duty in such a place, knowing what could well happen.
    D.