Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Soldbuch to soldiers missing in action

Article about: Hi, This may be a silly question and please be patient as I'm new to this but while looking through various sellers websites I have come across soldbuchs to soldiers missing in action and wh

The link to the current offer for said Soldbuch is here:

Crain's Militaria - KIA Pilot Soldbuch KG27

It's not a duplicate and has no entry on his death.

Also, a recovered Soldbuch was not returned to the deceased's next-of-kin, but filed away with his personnel records. It was the Wehrpaß that was returned. Here is an example from my family, the Wehrpaß of my grand uncle, another young airman who didn't return from his last flight (name omitted for reasons of privacy). The top entry made by his unit in April 1942 lists him as MIA; the bottom entry was added by the draft board two months later in June 1942 when he was confirmed as KIA. It was subsequently sent to his mother (i.e. my great-grandmother):

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soldbuch to soldiers missing in action
    P
    Many

Thanks for the post HPL, I haven't seen a gefallen notice in a Wehrpaß before. I had assumed the Soldbuch got passed to the relatives. Sorry for the loss of your great uncle.

Aircrew were not supposed to take their Soldbuch with them on operation sorties and were to hand it in before taking off which is why they have not been lost in the crash. Obviously there were some exceptions where someone had forgotten to hand it in or just didn't bother but most of the time the Soldbuch survived because it was safe back at base and wasn't being carried.
    And as the SB of lost aircrew were sent back to Germany to be filed away, a fair few of these examples have come on to the market due to being stolen from the archives many years ago.

Thanks for that information; I had not been aware of this regulation!

?

Thanks for that, it's answered my question perfectly.

Cheers!!

Here is an example for a fighter pilot who was shot down and killed during the Battle of Britain. He went down in to the English Channel in September 1940 and I would imagine to begin with his comrades might of been unaware of what happened to him. Even if they saw him go down they might of hoped he was picked up by the British and made a PoW. However, a full 15 months after the crash they then went back to the Soldbuch and filled in the details when no confirmation of him being made a PoW was received, so the unit had kept the Soldbuch for all that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12