Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG

Article about: Here is a soldbuch I have had in my collection for about 3-4 years. Not only is it a Soldbuch to a high ranking Waffen-SS officer but it is a Soldbuch to a Waffen-SS Knights Cross and Deutsc

Default Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG

Here is a soldbuch I have had in my collection for about 3-4 years.
    Not only is it a Soldbuch to a high ranking Waffen-SS officer but it is a Soldbuch to a Waffen-SS Knights Cross and Deutsche Kreuz in Gold winner - something that is rarely seen on the market these days.
    It is a Zweitschrift soldbuch but looks to of been issued around 1941/42 so still saw alot of action as can be seen by its condition. Eggert Neumann served in the Polizei before the war and on the outbreak of war was serving with 15.(Krad.)/SS-Standarte 'Westland' of the SS-VT. In 1940 he was transferred to SS-Standarte 'Deutschland' as a Zugführer in the 9 Kompanie for the Western Campaign.
    In 1941 he was assigned to 3./SS-Aufkl.Abt 5, again as a Zugführer before being made Kompanie-Chef of 15./SS-Westland.
    Eventually Neumann ended up with SS-Freiw.Div Prinz Eugen in April 1942 and it is with this unit that he spent the majority of the remainder of the war. During the first spell he served as Rgt
    Adj und Hauptm beim Stabe SS-GJ.Rgt 14. He then spent some time with Gen.Kdo V SS-Gebirgs Korps from July 1943 to April 1944 before he went back to 7 SS-Freiw.Geb.Div 'Prinz Eugen' where he served as the Kommandeur of SS-Geb-Aufkl.Abt 7 when the unit was based in the Balkans. Neumann was wounded a number of times but he finished the war with the rank of SS-Obersturmbannführer (Lieutenant-Colonel) and as Kommandeur of SS-Gebirgs-Rgt-13 'Artur Phleps'.

The Soldbuch is an army style issue and does not have a photo of Neumann in it. There is one set of staple holes in the front cover but there does not appear to be any photo imprint or the authorising stamps that a photo would of required (or Neumann's signature) so it may well be that the SB never had a photo.

The entry for the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold & RK are placed on Page 14 and it may well be that they are post-war placed (which is my 'leaning'). The date for the Deutsche Kreuz in Gold is incorrect by 2 months and the RK by one month but upon a close-up there does seem to be an authorising signature - again, whether this has been added post-war is up for debate but that the Soldbuch is to the RK & Deutsche Kreuz in Gold Träger Eggert Neumann is beyond doubt.
    Despite his wounds (severe enough that post-war he was determined to be disabled) a Wound Badge is not entered in the SB.

Two signatures identified in the Soldbuch belong to Hans Wallner who was KIA on 5th February 1945 at Hitzfelden and Erich Reinke who was KIA on 2nd December 1943 at Trgoviste.

Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG
    Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG   Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG  

Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG
    P
    Many

Default Re: Soldbuch - SS-Obersturmbannführer RK & DKiG

Along with the Soldbuch is a copy of his personel file, currently held at NARA, and it is very extensive running at approx 200 pages so it is possible to research his complete history of Waffen-SS service. Amongst the numerous papers are copies of his Deutsche Kreuz in Gold & RK Vorschagliste and his RK recommendation complete with numerous maps (some shown here) showing the actions that won him the Knights Cross.

Awards:
    EK II – 25/07/1940
    EK I – 19/07/1941
    Sturmabz Silber – 23/03/1942
    Inf.Sturmabz Bronze – 01/06/1942
    Ostfront – 26/09/1942
    Deutsche Kreuz in Gold – 18/12/1944
    RK – 03/11/1944

Promotions: (Taken from Michael Miller's W-SS & Polizei RKT CD-rom)

20.04.1936 Leutnant derGendarmerie
    20.04.1937 Oberleutnant der Gendarmerie
    01.06.1938 SS-Obersturmführer (commissioned in the SS at that rank)
    20.04.1939 Hauptmann der Gendarmerie
    19.09.1939 SS-Mann (SS-Verfügungstruppe)
    20.04.1940 SS-Untersturmführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
    20.04.1941 SS-Obersturmführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
    21.06.1942 SS-Obersturmführer (Allgemeine-SS)
    21.06.1942 SS-Hauptsturmführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
    18.10.1942 SS-Haupsturmführer (Allgemeine-SS)
    09.11.1943 SS-Sturmbannführer d. R. der Waffen-SS
    20.04.1945 SS-Obersturmbannführer d. R. der Waffen-SS

(EDIT: 'Kevin H' as seen on the image watermarks is myself)

A fabulous piece of SS history to have in your collection !! He was lucky to survive the war and live until 1970!

Great to see Kevin, thanks for posting

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Very nice Kevin , great early SS VT Westland stamps !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Superb Kevin, thanks for sharing this with us. Great to have all the information to go with it too.

Regards,

Carl

excellent.

I think that you would have to be very lucky to top this one.
    Thanks for showing