Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

SS Soldbuch SS pz grenadier 49 brigade

Article about: This is my very first SS soldbuch & it is for SS pz grenadier 49 brigade , with black wound badge award & cert included , his dog tag comes with group aswell as 3 SS hostpital papers

Default Re: SS Soldbuch SS pz grenadier 49 brigade

An outstanding Grouping, and the entries are all very easy to read as well...Congratulations!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Soldbuch SS pz grenadier 49 brigade
    P
    Many

?

Mark it's an interesting EK as well to and Infanterie Geschutz Training and replacement unit !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    An outstanding Grouping, and the entries are all very easy to read as well...Congratulations!
    Thanks , i am very pleased with it as it is my first one

?

Some info on this Brigade !

SS Panzergrenadier Brigade 49 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were also the subject of a book by Richard landwehr called " Alarm Units "
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Some info on this Brigade !

SS Panzergrenadier Brigade 49 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were also the subject of a book by Richard landwehr called " Alarm Units "

Thanks Paul , your the man

?

I know this may seem a dumb question but i would like too try & do some research on this guy , so can anyone point me in the right direction as too how i can start with websites etc: ?

Quote by HD1450 View Post
    I know this may seem a dumb question but i would like too try & do some research on this guy , so can anyone point me in the right direction as too how i can start with websites etc: ?
    For decyphering the Soldbuch? - There are some useful links here Information on Soldbuchs , Wehrpass and other Documents !! at War relics forum

For actual digging down into the weeds of the soldier himself the information is in the SB - date of birth, civilian trade, religion, hospital stays (and the reasons) etc. A good tip is to open a WORD doc - or even just a pencil and paper if you are old school - and go through the SB page by page and write down every entry in chronological order with the corresponding details from the stamps and dates. Here are two snapshot examples of mine, one for a Großdeutschland grenadier and the other a sailor and how elaborate you want to be is entirely up to you, mine are very basic compared to some I have seen but they do the trick. But from a time line it is easier to trace his movements with any particular units...

SS Soldbuch SS pz grenadier 49 brigade SS Soldbuch SS pz grenadier 49 brigade

But one thing about paperwork collecting is that you do tend to need a big book library to help with unit formations & histories, commanders, battles & relevant unit locations just to name a few things, and alot of the books nowadays are not cheap but unfortunately they are needed as the Internet doesn't contain all the information you need, especially for the more obscure/less 'famous' units.

?

Thanks Kev , appreciate your help my friend

The piece of paperwork dated for 1st June 1944 and appointing him to SS-Unterführer-Antwärter is signed by Willy Reifflin - born 20th October 1893 in Flensburg. SS Nr 313969. He was the commander of III/SS-Pol.Inf.Rgt 3 in 1942/43 before becoming the Commander of the Waffen-Grenadier Schule der SS (Source: Führerliste).

And the paper dated for 1st July 1944 appointing him to SS-Sturmmann looks to of been signed by Rudolf Leu - born 11th August 1922 in Duisburg. SS Nr 456102. In July 1943 he served in 4./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 4 before serving with 12./SS-Pz.Gren.Brig.49 in 1944. He moved on to the 6th SS Division in late 1944 (Source: Führerliste).

Neither Reifflin or Leu won any high-end awards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast