Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Translation of wehrpass to Georg Kalemba

Article about: Hi Chaps, I've been buying a few Wehrpasses recently & I am trying to work through translating them; but have got stuck with some of the writing. The first one is to a Georg Kalemba from

Default Re: Translation of wehrpass to Georg Kalemba

He was a Catholic and his civilian trade was as a farm labourer.
    I can't make out his town of birth, but the second part of it seems to say R. Laz Oppeln. On Page 4 the town is mentioned again and the first part is Bismarck.
    His mother died in 1921.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    P
    Many

Thanks Hucks216

He took his military entrance examination on 12th Feb 1941 and was passed as fit for combat, and he sworth his oath on 27th Feb 1941. He was single & was qualified to drive a car.

Hi Chaps, I've finished my 'write up' (see below). Thanks to those who helped. Kalemba was a pre-war Pole, maybe an ethnic German or not, who was enlisted into the German Army, Cheers, Richard.

Wehrpass To Obergefreiter Georg Kalemba.
    Infantry Regiment 436.
    Born 27/03/1921 in Bismarckhutte, in Upper Silesia. Before 1939 it was part of Poland and called Chorzow. It returned to this name after 1945 and is today again in Poland. He was single, Catholic and a farm labourer in civilian life. A sad note is that his mother died in 1921, the year of Georg's birth.
    Entitled to: - Ostmedaille, Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz and Krimschild.
    Georg registered for military service on 26/04/1940 in Konigshutte (Silesia). During 1940 he served in the RAD. He took his military entrance examination on 12/02/1941 and swore his oath of loyalty to Hitler on 27/02/1941. He was trained to use the K98 rifle, M.G.34 & hand grenades. He also qualified to drive a car. Georg was initially posted to 2.Komp.Inf.Ers.Btl.318 from 13/02/1941. He served with a couple more units before going on active service with 9.Kp.436 I.R. from 24/12/1941. They were part of 132.Infanterie-Division who were involved in the invasion of Russia. After crossing into Southern Russia in 1941, the Division fought in the Crimea and the Siege of Sevastopol. It later took part in the assault that caused the fall of this giant Soviet naval fortress, it was subsequently transferred to the Northern Sector of the Eastern Front in July 1942 were they were involved in the failed Siege Of Leningrad around Lake Ladoga. Georg was involved in both these actions but left the 436 I.R. on 23/10/1942. He saw more active service with Res.Inf.Pz.Jag.Komp.79 from 31/01/1944. Georg went on to serve with several signal units towards the end of the war before being discharged on the 15/04/1945.

Nicely done - and another soldier's story is told.

Jan
    ?

Very nice wehrpass with a big story behind it. Grats!

Cheers Jan

Thanks Jan & hucks216.

Do you have any more lined up? I find researching & writing up wehrpasses & soldbucher interesting & addictive and as soon as I have done one I usually look for the next to one to do from my collection.

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Do you have any more lined up? I find researching & writing up wehrpasses & soldbucher interesting & addictive and as soon as I have done one I usually look for the next to one to do from my collection.
    Yes hucks216, I've got a couple lined up. One a WW1 veteran who fought in WW2 & another to a casualty with police and some other special service. I'll post the second one probably next week, Cheers, Richard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12