Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wehrpaß Adolf Thiel

Article about: Hi folks picked up another, decent condition a few entries , i have pictures of each and an attached document, once again any help /translation would be most helpful as i keep all informatio

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    ...to come from that and go into another the guy had some balls id say.
    Steve
    He didn't exactly have much of a choice. He does have a designation that he was fit for combat duty (K.V.) but whether he was used in the Volksturm isn't recorded. It is possible that after registering that was the closest he came to serving again.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpaß Adolf Thiel
    P
    Many

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    He didn't exactly have much of a choice. He does have a designation that he was fit for combat duty (K.V.) but whether he was used in the Volksturm isn't recorded. It is possible that after registering that was the closest he came to serving again.
    Seeing that he was a Berliner, i reckon if he could still walk and carry a panzerfaust in April 45 he'd be called up!...

Yes Gunny,, seems logical, i will dig a little this weekend to see if i can unearth anything interesting, by the way there was another Adolf Thiel who was a rocket engineer during the war , pretty much all google brings up at the moment, whilst i have know German language at all what does the Feldpost letter mean,,
    Steve

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Yes Gunny,, seems logical, i will dig a little this weekend to see if i can unearth anything interesting, by the way there was another Adolf Thiel who was a rocket engineer during the war , pretty much all google brings up at the moment, whilst i have know German language at all what does the Feldpost letter mean,,
    Steve
    My German is quite poor, i can order a meal and ask directions etc, i think it's some kind of 48 hour pass!..

Here's what the document tells us:

Friedrich Adolf Thiel was born on 27 December 1892 at Meißen in Saxony.

His parents were Adolf Thiel, an army NCO who died in 1907 and Augusta Thiel (née Giel) who survived her husband by 23 years and died in 1930.

Thiel was a natural-born German citizen who had left the church and - in the usual terminology of the day - declared himself "gottgläubig" ["believer in God" without a church affiliation]. He was married and a father of two children, one of whom was KIA as a soldier in WW2.

He was 1.79 meters tall, of muscular physique, had brown eyes and (at the time the Wehrpass was issued) greying hair.

Thiel had a basic-level school education, finishing the Volksschule. A Schlosser [fitter or locksmith] by trade, he was employed as a Werkmeister, i.e. a qualified industry foreman. His employer is unknown, but his job was considered significant for the war effort, earning him a u.k.-Stellung [deferral from military service].

In WWI, he had served as a private with Minenwerfer-Kompanie 23 from 1915 to 1917. He was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd Class on 19th July 1916. His final rank, attained on 31st July 1916, was Gefreiter.

Appearing before the Wehrbezirkskommando [recruiting district headquarters] Berlin V in Berlin-Neukölln on 14 December 1943 as a Wehrpflichtiger [person subject to conscription], Thiel had his draft board medical exam. That day, he was found "g.v. Feld" ["garnisonsverwendungsfähig Feld" = "fit for garrison duty in the field"], had his Wehrpass issued and was taken into the tertiary reserves of the Landsturm I.

On 21 July 1944, he was re-classified as being "k.v." ["kriegsverwendungsfähig" - "fit for war service"]. (In early 1944, the military fitness categories had been modified, with Thiel's original "g.v.F." category discontinued, necessitating a re-classification.)

Wow, just amazing detail again, thank you so much for taking the time to look and translate,,, my guess would be he did not survive although i hope did, such a sad loss of his son too, thank you
    Steve

- - ------- - -

Wow, just amazing detail again, thank you so much for taking the time to look and translate,,, my guess would be he did not survive although i hope did, such a sad loss of his son too, thank you
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2