Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrpass Help please.

Article about: Hi everyone, I have a Wehrpass here that appears as though the owner had no military service, but as I can't read German I could be very wrong I have attached pictures of the only pages with

Default Wehrpass Help please.

Hi everyone, I have a Wehrpass here that appears as though the owner had no military service, but as I can't read German I could be very wrong

I have attached pictures of the only pages with writing or stamps, I really hope someone can do a translation for me, please.

Also does anyone know of a site that has an English translation of the Werhpass?

Many thanks in advance,

Grant
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpass Help please.   Wehrpass Help please.  

Wehrpass Help please.   Wehrpass Help please.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpass Help please.
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wehrpass Help please.

Can anyone help, please

Cheers,

Grant

Unhappy Re: Wehrpass Help please.

Anything???????

so you found one!!
    I can't help much! The 4th picture at # 8 it tells the profession of the guy ...but I can't read it.
    He is born in 1915 in Magdeburg, he is a reformist and his father died. That is as far as I get.
    Maybe if you took some pictures in a 90 degree angle, or a scan, it would be easyer to read !?
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

pjm
    ?

It shows him listed as "Beschraenkt taulich" for service, so "limited able-bodied" . That entry is struck through with "gestrichen", so "removed" implying he wasn't fit for duty. There's a stamp for "able to be used for garrison duty" so, either due to a physical, mental, religious or other limitation, he wasn't fit for front duty. The other section struck through apparently negates even garrison duty.

As a Refomist, a Lutheran sect like Calvinism in Holland, he may also have been a pacifist. Maybe he was considered fit for limited non-front duty in peacetime (the initial entries are 1935) but not in wartime.

He's a worker, a trained machine fitter and single with a Volkschule education.

pjm
    ?

The May 1944 entry does indicate a change in the regulations regarding military service related to availability (gem. Verfg. which might be "gemaess Verfuegbarkeit") and adds a stamp "bedingt kriegsverwendungsfaehig" or "conditionally fit for war service" but there are no muster or unit stamps so he apparently never served in a military capacity.

He may have been called up to serve in another organization like Red Cross, Luftschutz etc or, because of his machinist's training, stayed in that area of war service doing factory work..

pjm
    ?

Wehrbezirks-Kommando is the military district command or headquarters. Among its dutues was processing recruits. Any one of conscript age would report there and be registered for service and after the usual tests and physicals receive a "fit for duty" or deferments, etc.

Thank you all very much for your help and input, it is greatly appreciated

I thought it was really odd that it appeared that he did no war service, but perhaps the fact that he was a trained machinist put him into a reserved occupation? It was interesting to hear about his religion, because I was beginning to wonder, because of his name Eisenhardt , if he was perhaps Jewish and this effected his service, however I was obviously wrong on that score.

So just to get it straight, it would appear that he had to register, and get his Wehrpass, but he was a "conscientious objector" or similar because of his religion, and also the fact he was a machinist he didn't have to serve in the forces? The front of the book is marked Luftwaffe, is this the branch he would have had to have served in had he been called up? Also periodically he was reassessed for duty, but was rejected each time?

Thanks for your help.

B regards,

Grant

pjm
    ?

I'm not entirely versed on German military conscription practice but I presume everyone who fulfilled the basic criteria for military service had to register at the local military district.

Periodically, as seen in your pass, the conscript would be called up, and mustered or defered according to the law. The allocation of conscripts to a particular branch of service would have been regulated by need.

In this case, we presume, the man was a Reformist and probably a conscientious objector and, as indicated in the pass, when first registered in 1935, found fit for limited duty - namely, home front garrison.

I'm deducing that when the war broke out, even home front garrison duty was not allowed due to his religious conviction and hence he was struck from the rolls.

However, the later entry in May 1944 implies that the military service law was changed to permit (or oblige) the individual to serve if necessary.

He could have been a master machinist by then and that was important enough for the war effort to defer military service.