Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?

Article about: Bought this one last summer. Cheap, in a condition to match the price. The spine is badly frayed, and the back half of the pages are floating freely within the cover. All pages are present,

Default Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?

Bought this one last summer. Cheap, in a condition to match the price. The spine is badly frayed, and the back half of the pages are floating freely within the cover. All pages are present, though. Although it's really not very well filled in.
    It belonged to a Mr Konrad Held (Anglicized on the cover) a resident of Wentorf, Hamburg. He appears to have been issued the document in 1940, and was active fairly late in the war. There are mentions of Flak batteries, and an entry on page 26 that seems to reference the Kriegsmarine. A coastal defender on the Atlantic Wall, perhaps?
    As ever, my poor grasp of period handwriting leaves me at a loss.
    I'd be thankful on any clarification as to what exactly Konrad got up to during the war.

Much appreciated.

B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?   Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?  

Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?   Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?  

Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrpaß, Kriegsmarine?
    P
    Many

He was officially called up for military duty in August 1940, but simultaneously put on leave because he had an Uk-Stellung. This means he was classified as unabkömmlich (working in a reserved occupation) and thus exempt from conscription. (Note that he had a degree in engineering.)

On 8 November 1940, he was officially discharged (without having had any actual service) and transferred to the Marine-Ersatz-Reserve I [Navy Replacement Reserves I, made up of untrained men under the age of 35].
    The respective entry was made by his official military unit, the Beurlaubtenkompanie [company for inactive personnel] of the 1. Ersatz-Marineartillerieabteilung [1st Navy Artillery Replacement Detachment].

Between 28 November 1943 and 10 February 1944, he had 23 days of active homeland service with Heimatflakbatterie 3/I [Homeland Anti-Aircraft Artillery Battery 3/I] in Danzig, including 15 days of action.
    (The Heimatflakbatterien were anti-aircraft batteries manned by Flakwehrmänner, civilians who were only called to duty for training and during impending air raids.)

Was looking forward to your input. Even if this fellow's history isn't quite as colourful as the owner of my other Wehrpaß, he was part of the conflict, and it's nice to know his story.
    Thank you.

B.B.

Sorry to drag up a slightly old thread, but am in need of assistance with this one again. I'm writing short paragraphs to place next to the Wehrpasses I have on display, to summarise their contents for visitors and the like, and have been trying to translate the third page of the book to learn a bit more about who Konrad was. I managed to decipher, at least I hope, that his father's name was Bruno Held and that he died in 1936. Haven't been able to get any further, as my grasp of Sütterlinschrift is very poor.

Help needed, and much appreciated as always!

B.B.

The Wehrpaß holder's name was Konrad Karl Gustav Held, born 25 September 1904 in Danzig.

His parents were the tax official Obersteuerinspektor Bruno Held and his wife Margarete Held (née Hemming). Bruno had died in 1936; Margarete was still alive when the Wehrpaß was issued.

Konrad Held was single, of German citizenship and Protestant faith.

He was a graduate engineer [Diplomingenieur] by training and profession.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    The Wehrpaß holder's name was Konrad Karl Gustav Held, born 25 September 1904 in Danzig.

His parents were the tax official Obersteuerinspektor Bruno Held and his wife Margarete Held (née Hemming). Bruno had died in 1936; Margarete was still alive when the Wehrpaß was issued.

Konrad Held was single, of German citizenship and Protestant faith.

He was a graduate engineer [Diplomingenieur] by training and profession.
    As always, a massive thanks! The price of gold membership feels far too light for all the help I've had already!

B.B.